Why is my course showing a different price than the one I selected?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Replies

I have the same question sort of. Yesterday I got a vaguely worded complaint in my Q&A about price hikes. I replied, and immediately got another vaguely worded replied followed by another from a different account. The latter claimed that the price of the first course I offer in a series was reasonable, but then the subsequent courses were 4X the first course. 

I suspect that this is some kind of bot or scam. Has anyone else received similiar complaints? bl

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MohamedSami955@BenLugosch712  If you’re part of the Udemy Deals Program, then in most markets Udemy is setting your list price. We continually test different courses at different price points with the goal of continually improving overall revenue. If your course is at a higher price point than competitors, it’s probably because our marketing data suggested it would perform better at that price. Specifically, the general revenue equation of (conversion rate * price paid) was more favorable at the higher rate.

If you have specific questions about your account, please send an email to our  Instructor Support team.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

I took several days to make a package of questions (6 mocks, 240 questions) about ITIL. Very difficult. Now I have posted and earn USD $0,94 in the first sell? Is that real? Why the price is so low?

Hello @Palara - Welcome to the realities of Udemy. You have to understand that when you opt in to the Udemy Deals program (I think that's what it's called), which you do by default, Udemy can sell your course for anything they want. The price you set really means almost nothing. They claim to have some sort of algorithm that optimizes each course's price for maximum sales. I haven't really seen any evidence of this, but it is what it is. And, in some countries, like India, the price will almost always be set lower. Then after all the fees and taxes and Udemy's cut, we get what is left over. This averages between $3 and $5 per sale but I've seen it as low as $.65. 

Most new instructors rarely spend anytime learning how earning money on Udemy really works. So they are shocked when they set a price on their course at something like $49.99 and Udemy sells the course to someone in India for $5 and you keep $1 (maybe). 

Hi, Randy!
Thanks for the information! Got it. Make sense. But I made another course (I have 2 only and I am here since October). This was sold to someone in Turkey, but the other course, I sold to people in different countries, like Canada, India, Thay and UK. Same price. 
But anyway, lets proceed. I don't lose the hope!
Thanks one more time 🙂

Hi @MohamedSami955 - If you can figure out how Udemy prices courses we create then you are doing better than 99% of the instructors here. Essentially, if you have signed up for the Udemy Deals Program, Udemy will charge whatever they want to for you course. It really doesn't matter what price you set. That appears to be almost irrelevant. I have most of the prices on my courses set at roughly $29.95. However, based on how popular the course is (or not), Udemy may adjust the price up to $89.95 or as low as $19.95 if it's new. Also, when Udemy is running a sale, it will lower the price on each course to somewhere between $9.95 to $12.95, even if you had it set at $149.95, for example.

GuilhermeMP
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi! Udemy runs several promotions throughout the year. When these promotions are active, the course is not priced with your list price

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors