Why is the payment discounted

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the payment discounted

Hi,
I am concerned about my payments.
After submitting necessary documents of tax why is my payment just 37% of what students pay and rest going to udemy?

1 Reply
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Perhaps the division of revenue needs to be communicated more clearly to new instructors. The communication needs to be simple and clear. Let me give it a try.

In every business there are three major components of the process that delivers goods or services to a customer. One is the creative process (R&D, design, engineering), the producing process (the computers, software, the factory), and the sales/marketing process. The instructor creates the product and we rely on Udemy for the producing and selling of our product. Udemy is primarily a marketing company and that relieves us instructors of that so we can focus on the creative process. The revenue paid by customers is divided between these three functions. Instructors receive 34% of the revenue (37% minus the 3% transaction fee). 

While some other platforms offer a higher percentage they do not match Udemy in marketing. We trade some percent for a much more competent and robust marketing operation that results in revenue for instructors. 

(OK, that's my attempt at a simple explanation. There are long debates about this in other discussions, please lets not repeat them here. But, if someone can offer a better, and simple explanation, let's hear it.)

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors