Wrong Tax Form - Consequences

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Tax Form - Consequences

After becoming a premium instructors, they are asked to fill up a tax form. What if an instructor fill up the form wrong! Example: He should had fill W8 Ben but he filled W8 ECI form. 

What can happen to him,
1. Will Udmey ban him?
2.Will cop catch him?
3.Payoneer will not be allow him to withdraw money...

I know Udmey is not allowed to tell instructors which form should they fill. But i just want to know the Consequences of filling up a wrong tax form! 🙂 

5 Replies
SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

If you are really worried @Mona364  then reach out to instructor support for help. I think the worse thing that could happen would be you pay a bit more of your income as tax to the US government. I would also suggest you ask your tax accountant where you live locally, most will aware of global tax compliance. 

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

Thank you SharonRamel 🙂

Hi @Mona364, thanks for your patience here. Each type of form is designed for use by different types of individuals, so if an instructor completed the wrong form it would likely result in errors that would invalidate the form. Where an instructor's form is invalidated, IRS rules prevent us from relying on that form to determine the appropriate withholding, and instead require us to apply the same "default" rules we'd use for instructors who never turned in a form. These default rules usually result in the highest withholding rates, so we recommend that you consult a tax advisor if you're at all unsure which form to use.

Hope that helps!

Hi there. I thought I had filled out all the relevant tax info required. I am not based in USA and don't pay US tax. I am based in UK and pay UK tax. The online system said fine. I now see that I am subject to a 30% withholding tax on ALL my earnings through Udemy! Please can Udemy check their records they have for me as something has gone wrong? And can they please advise the best way to resolve this issue? As said, I followed the instructions as given by Udemy and the outcome isn't correct. Kind regards. Nick Stewart

MeryMejia
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @NickStewart005 In this case, to be able to determine this, I'll recommend you to reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com. 

Mery Mejia

Udemy Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors