earning in india

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

earning in india

Go to solution

hi! can nay instructor from India respond to this , I just want to know if Indian instructors earn well through udemy?

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hey @Aakanksha, good question. We're also curious to hear about other's experiences!

View solution in original post

Go to solution

There are many instructors in India who earn well (above 1000$ per month)  .

Its possible and there is an ever growing audience from India on udemy . 

If you are thinking of creating a course for Indian audience then its a good time to be on udemy. 

Go to solution

Started on Udemy six months ago, here are our stats, the delta in May was due to our own promotions:dec-may stats.png

Go to solution

I am using personal account from last 6 years and never faced any issue while receiving payment.

Go to solution

Hi @Aakanksha ,

Its been almost 20 days I have published my first course on Udemy and the response is not very good but yes, I have got few dollars of earnings. I guess this is a time taking process and will eventually bring you more enrolments and earnings as time passes. 
 I have tried all my best means of promoting - Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, personal WhatsApp groups, old college groups and many more. This have brought visitors to my landing page obviously but conversion rate is not improving. 
Indian market is slightly different. I request other instructors from India to share some ideas and promoting techniques, if you are ok with sharing. 

Thank You. 

Go to solution

Great work Piyush, thats the way forward in terms of constantly marketing your courses.

Simultaneously look at the below aspects:

1)Create the second course: participants from what I have seen look at your profile to check out all your offerings and trust instructors who have multiple courses either on the same topic or unrelated.

2)Always have a 45min to 1hour intro/promo course which you can share it for free, this will bring more participants, while its debatable whether they will be positive conversions- this activity should be a monthly one so that over a period of time you have a sizable participant no.

3)The first year is challenging: dont expect too much of revenue immediately rather focus on high course quality, understanding participants, marketing channels, getting your courses translated to other languages....

4)Make everyday Count: its human to expect much and get  disappointed, but everyday there has to be a positive movement- whether its adding a quiz, an external resource,planning an announcement or promotions etc

5)Start a YouTube channel and a Facebook page...my view is always to look forward couple of years ahead....if you start now just imagine how much volume you can gain by sustained daily effort.

I am no expert here but sharing my thoughts....bottom line is to move ahead and not to be stuck...

Go to solution

2020-06-12 00_09_23-Online Courses - Anytime, Anywhere _ Udemy.png

Here's what helped me grow fast from all the learning I did :

1) Focus on your Existing Courses
The reviews I got from students helped me to refine my courses even more and provide even better quality content to my students. I re-edited and rerecorded many sections of the courses and I also improved the downloadable resources.

2)  Choosing the Right Keywords
My course grew rapidly when I changed the title of my course. It now ranks first in all three keywords which are topics related to each other. So yes, the title of your course is important.

3) Engaging with the Community

I made it a point to answer each and every Q&A that students asked. I also responded to every review that I got. This helped in getting better reviews for my course 🙂

4)  Always Learning

I was not only teaching but also learning constantly on course creation. I was spending more time on the Udemy Community and going through all the top read posts, I was listening to awesome podcast shows like the Online Course Masters show which helped a ton, I joined various facebook groups for Udemy Instructors, I was improving my video & audio production quality with every new video I produced, and I was incessantly learning everyday on every topic that helped with the course creation process.

These are some of my top tips from the top of my head. I am now in a position to pursue this full-time and I am creating a new course every month and also adding more high quality content to my existing courses. 

Udemy is an awesome platform and it's going to be HUGE in India and there's going to be a lot more Udemy Indian Instructors in the future. I am so glad to be part of this journey (even though it's a bit late) and I hope to provide maximum value to my students.

Also, this is not a get-rich-quick scheme. You need to put in the time, the hardwork, the effort and persever to make it really work for you. It will pay-off in the long run if you start now.

I hope my answer helps or inspires you to get started on this journey 🙂  

37 Replies

Go to solution

Congratulations, Piyush. All the best. I am yet to publish my course. Would you mind sharing what course you have published? Thanks. 

Go to solution

Hi Ganesh.  I am an Instructor of Linux over here as of now but I am on my way to cover more of Cyber Security and Coding based courses. FOr you info, if you want to know about courses published by any instructor, simply go to the instructor's profile by clicking on his name and you'll be able to see the courses published .

Go to solution

Hello 

What is your status now?

Is it performing well because I published 3 courses I got good ratings from students but still I'm not getting good enrollments.

Go to solution

Hi Piyush

Need help regarding payment transfer

My email ID htj.rit@gmail.com

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @htjadhav please send any questions regarding payments, account issues to the support team at instructorsupport@udemy.com they will be able to provide you with more details.

Go to solution

Thanks sai for sharing your experience. I'm also new on udemy I published 2 courses can you please tell where I need to improve? 

Go to solution

Great to see a 4.9 rating for both of your courses, you should continue to build new courses and parallelly share discounted coupons with engineering college students.

You can also build an academy with end to end courses on your topics. All the best!

Go to solution

Hello Sai

I published 3 courses I got good ratings from students but still, I'm not getting good enrollments hardly 6-7 enrollments per month on each course can you please review my course landing page and tell me where I'm going wrong and how can I improve it.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hello @Aakanksha, @MariaG

Pleasure to meet you. Great question. I thought I would share some real numbers, of course, not to brag but to help inspire. 

I'm based in Maharashtra and have been on Udemy since 2016. I tried testing the Udemy waters in 2016 and '17 by having only two courses. Soon realized the potential that Udemy has and started working seriously since 2018. After that it was a path of never looking back. 

Between 2018 and today, I have 26 courses, many of them are best sellers, have a unique student base of over 35,000, a repeat student base of over 55,000, due to this platform I get to teach in 175+ countries, have several courses on UFB too. On an average, per month consumption of my programs (just on Udemy) goes beyond 474,000 minutes. 

My monthly income from Udemy is almost reaching 5 figures in U.S. Dollars which in INR means a wealth of money per month. I will soon reach a personal Udemy milestone of USD 100,000 in a matter of next two to three months. 

Because Udemy paved a way for such a wonderful online career, I was able to build a thriving online education business in 3 years and serve the audience globally. Today, although Udemy income contributes to only 30%-40% of the overall income to my business, earnings from Udemy have been extremely consistent and are growing only in one direction - upward. 

And guess what, I was able to do all of this by myself, single-handedly with an ongoing full-time job where I work as a Vice President of one of the largest US based Investment Bank (which also has an office in India). Udemy income alone surpasses my job salary by at least 3 times. And I'm now thinking of quitting a six figure (INR) per month paid job that has amazing social status and fabulous perks just to serve a student community that is demanding more of my time and expertise. I find being an entrepreneur more fulfilling than a high position paid rank in a corporate hierarchy. 

My personal case study is similar to many well known senior instructors here who have achieved several significant milestones. They have been there and done that. I'm doing nothing different other than following their footsteps, learning from this instructor community, being absolutely resolute in making every student feel special, practicing everything taught by Udemy in their official training courses and blogs, making sure my business and I follow the practices outlined by Udemy as they are, and much more. I seek direction from Udemy's Instructor Support as well as other teams regularly and they have always ensured their guidance is to the point, rational and helpful. 

Udemy not only teaches you to be a better online instructor, it also provides a strong base of building a major business empire. Many instructors have done it in the past and people like you and me are on path to get it done. All one need to do is be consistent, persevere and believe that by following this proven model, you will bring a major shift in your career and you will also touch the lives of the countless number of students you are teaching on the platform. Another key observation is that when you put the efforts in the right direction consistently for a good amount of time on Udemy, your efforts will lead the way to earn compounding interest. This not only applies for the money you earn, but also for the students you serve, the business you build, and the personal learnings you have. 

And guess the best part. You earn in dollars and spend in INR. It totally agrees to the principle that Tim Ferris shares in his book, The 4 hour work week. You end up saving much more. I have been able to kill my housing loan, car loan, personal loan, credit card outstanding by using this income and now I have hired a financial expert to help manage and grow my savings. 

Again, I'm being absolutely transparent in sharing my journey with Udemy. It is an outstanding platform managed by amazing people. They have definitely made a difference to my life, and I guarantee that if you follow the foot steps of everything they teach and our fellow instructors share, you too shall reap the benefits. Just put your head down and get to work 😌

Go to solution

That's a great inspiring story. Thankyou for sharing! 

Go to solution

Wow, what a fantastic journey....

Go to solution

2020-06-12 00_09_23-Online Courses - Anytime, Anywhere _ Udemy.png

Here's what helped me grow fast from all the learning I did :

1) Focus on your Existing Courses
The reviews I got from students helped me to refine my courses even more and provide even better quality content to my students. I re-edited and rerecorded many sections of the courses and I also improved the downloadable resources.

2)  Choosing the Right Keywords
My course grew rapidly when I changed the title of my course. It now ranks first in all three keywords which are topics related to each other. So yes, the title of your course is important.

3) Engaging with the Community

I made it a point to answer each and every Q&A that students asked. I also responded to every review that I got. This helped in getting better reviews for my course 🙂

4)  Always Learning

I was not only teaching but also learning constantly on course creation. I was spending more time on the Udemy Community and going through all the top read posts, I was listening to awesome podcast shows like the Online Course Masters show which helped a ton, I joined various facebook groups for Udemy Instructors, I was improving my video & audio production quality with every new video I produced, and I was incessantly learning everyday on every topic that helped with the course creation process.

These are some of my top tips from the top of my head. I am now in a position to pursue this full-time and I am creating a new course every month and also adding more high quality content to my existing courses. 

Udemy is an awesome platform and it's going to be HUGE in India and there's going to be a lot more Udemy Indian Instructors in the future. I am so glad to be part of this journey (even though it's a bit late) and I hope to provide maximum value to my students.

Also, this is not a get-rich-quick scheme. You need to put in the time, the hardwork, the effort and persever to make it really work for you. It will pay-off in the long run if you start now.

I hope my answer helps or inspires you to get started on this journey 🙂  

Go to solution

Well done!

Go to solution

Thanks Manish for sharing your experience. I'm also new on udemy I published 2 courses can you please tell where I need to improve? 

Go to solution

Hey its me Sudhir Lion. Currently I will conduct my class here. So no idea. 

Go to solution

I am indian.but I am newcomer. I also curious about that.

Go to solution

Keep in mind that after they buy your course they will possibly buy your other courses even those outside Udemy. I have had students in India buy my higher priced course on my website. I also get many YouTube views from India. You will have access to up to 1 billion adults depending how much interest your course subject has.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors