may I refer to exisiting books in my course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

may I refer to exisiting books in my course?

Go to solution

In my course I would refer to well known books on the topics I want to teach: is this possible, obviously providing the quotation of the author and the book title?

It is not necessary for students to buy the books since I will completely explain the topics from scratch. 

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You mean you want to quote lines from these books within your course? I think legally, the answer is no (although lots of people do it anyway):

http://writersrelief.com/2014/01/31/get-permission-to-use-quotes-in-writing/

It's copyrighted work and can't be used without permission.

That said, I think most authors would gladly grant permission to just quote a line or two, with attribution. It's free advertising for them. A quick email to the author is worth the peace of mind, and might even start a new connection to the author you never thought was possible.

If you just want to mention the book and not quote from it, sure, that should be fine.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You mean you want to quote lines from these books within your course? I think legally, the answer is no (although lots of people do it anyway):

http://writersrelief.com/2014/01/31/get-permission-to-use-quotes-in-writing/

It's copyrighted work and can't be used without permission.

That said, I think most authors would gladly grant permission to just quote a line or two, with attribution. It's free advertising for them. A quick email to the author is worth the peace of mind, and might even start a new connection to the author you never thought was possible.

If you just want to mention the book and not quote from it, sure, that should be fine.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors