Ashamed to have let my Udemy students down

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ashamed to have let my Udemy students down

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to say congratulations to you all on your respective Udemy businesses. I've been part of a few online communities in the past and what I like most about Udemy is that pretty much everyone is an action taker - you do things rather than sit around and compalin.

Top stuff.  

I have a situation and would greatly appreciate your input (it's slightly different). 

I joined Udemy back in 2014 and launched 4 courses within a couple of months. Just as these were taking off (I quickly jumped to $350/mo in revenue) I was offered my dream job, which had long been in the pipeline. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I let my Udemy business go and did very little to keep it going and support my students. 

Fast forward to today and those 4 courses are still live, one of which has a rating of 4.7 stars from 17 reviews and has generated thousands of dollars in passive income. That course currently ranks on the 2nd page for 'Amazon FBA'. 

I feel ashamed for having let my Udemy business go, but most of all, for letting my students down. Teaching is a real passion and seeing people succeed is both a pleasure and honour - and I've made a committment to myself that I'm going to recitfy this.

Out of the four courses, one of them has done well (considering I haven't touched it in 4.5 years), is in an area where I have had some great success and is a topic that genuinely interests me (Amazon FBA). 

Do you think I should build on this one course and focus on Amazon FBA type courses (keeping in mind how competitive it now is) or would it be better to start a fresh in a less competitive niche?

Whatever I do, all of my existing students will have lifetime access to every course I publish for from now on. I am using this as an opportunity to focus on delivering exceptional student experiences and to add real value.  

Thanks in advance for your input - it's greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards

Adrian Knight

2 Replies
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I would first update your current course(s). Then create new courses that have some similarity in subject and market to your existing students. 

A less competitive niche is one in which there are fewer students. Most important, teach what you have enthusiasm for.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Thank you Lawrence, that's greatly appreciated 🙂

Kind regards

Adrian

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.