Hi Fellow Aspiring Udemy Instructors.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Fellow Aspiring Udemy Instructors.

I'm Brian Case living just outside of Chicago, Illinois, having retired from a 35-year Mainframe Computer applications development career – that retirement consisting of employment as a full-time commuter bus driver since I've outlived my profession. (Long story).

I come to Udemy as a result of my sister's memorabilia that my nephew sent me on her passing. In those materials was a family picture taken around the Thanksgiving dinner table (I'm guessing) around 1952. I realized that, not only my grandchildren, but my adult children know nothing of most of the folks in that black-and-white photograph.

So, on a lark AND at age 73 AND totally unencumbered by any video development experience whatsoever, I put together a series of two-minute videos entitled “Dinner with Lloyd and Gladys”. Each video features my recollection or two about a person in that photo.

It took a couple of months and all sorts of errors and re-dos, But on completion, the reception I received posting those videos to Facebook (limited to my relatives) was far more positive than I ever anticipated.

What would have been really helpful was a course for old folks like me on how to create a remembrance video. Particularly one that addressed the process and strategy as much as the technology.

So I'm taking on the slings and arrows of creating such a course.

Hold good thoughts for my effort.

5 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

What a great story. It's wonderful that you're not only preserving these memories for your own family, in a modern format that they will enjoy, but are showing others how to do the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your encouraging reply. This process is quite intimidating and far outside of my comfort zone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrankKane

May I edit your response to include in a draft of my course introduction video?

"And you can bask in the same praise not only for celebrating a past relative, friend, ancestor or pet; but for the thought, effort and skill you brought to preserve those memories in a modern format they will enjoy."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I have been thinking along the same lines.

I live in Oakmont, California, a 55+ retirement community flush with people needing to have their stories told.

I have literally thousands of potential customers within miles of my doorstep.

---Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous P.S. I too was an IBM Systems Programmer (VM/CMS and MVS) and successfully made the move to PCs running Linux and C programming (as opposed to PL/1 and Rexx -- I also sucked at JCL).  I remember acronyms such s DASD and EBCDIC.  I somehow survived and have been relatively successful on Udemy.

Best of luck,

---Brian

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.