I don't know if somebody took down my post or something, but its not there

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't know if somebody took down my post or something, but its not there

I had recently asked why udemy takes a ridiculous 67% commission rate for organic sales, or in fact, any sale that doesn't occur through your promotional link. and it was taken down. all I want to know is why would you spend weeks, or months on a course, for a large corporation to take the majority of the revenue for a course that you engineered? 

4 Replies

@AlexCollin149  it wasn't taken down and @ScottDuffy  and I gave some explanations as to why they take their share, which isn't ridiculous when you factor in all their costs.
https://community.udemy.com/t5/Course-management/Why-does-Udemy-keep-the-majority-of-your-revenue/td... 

blahblah.pngThis is what happens when i try to visit that page.

The link works for me, so someone from the Udemy community team will have to see why you can't view your other post.

Since you can't view your old post, here's a cut and paste of my reply to that post:

You're not factoring in everything that Udemy does, and how much your net revenues would be if you ran your own school.

Udemy does much more than just promoting an instructor's course. They provide the platform and marketplace with an astronomical amount of traffic, ads/sales/promotions, technical support, payment processing, taxes, etc. all which cost money.

If you launch your own school on, let's say Teachable or Thinkific, then those are all things you have to handle yourself. Since the average price for a course on Udemy when they run a sale is around $10 USD, we can use that as a use case and factor in expenses on an instructor's own online school:

• Credit Card Processing Fees: 6% or $0.60
  • Online School Platform Monthly Costs: 5 to 10% of Each Sale or $0.50 to $1
  • Google or Facebook Ads PPC: 10 - 40% of Each Sale or $1 to $4
  • Cost of Your Time for Tech Support & School Admin: Varies Per School (based on how you value your time), let's say 10% or $1 per sale
  • Net Revenue: $3.40 to $6.90, or 34 to 69% of course sales price. So if we split the difference, the average would be around 51.5% of each sale.

So, if you ran your own school (and I didn't include all the minute costs), you wouldn't even keep a majority of the course sales revenue as they're eaten up by operating costs and expenses.

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @AlexCollin149 You should be able to access your original post here.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.