Inquiry Related to Course Duration

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Related to Course Duration

Go to solution

Heya Everyone,

I am Humah from India. It's great to join Udemy as I finally got affiliated to a virtual Educator Community. However, I would like to know that what would be the best course duration, if I'm creating a course for the very first time?

The Educators who have an expertise in Course Creation are requested to share their opinions.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @HumahKhan768 One of the requirements is to have a course duration of 30 mins that contains at least 5 lectures  But there're courses on the platform that are much longer than that. It all depends on what you want to offer and how you want to value your course. You can also take a look at similar courses on the platform to get an idea.

Hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @HumahKhan768 One of the requirements is to have a course duration of 30 mins that contains at least 5 lectures  But there're courses on the platform that are much longer than that. It all depends on what you want to offer and how you want to value your course. You can also take a look at similar courses on the platform to get an idea.

Hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

Hey @ElianaC , Thanks for the information! It was really helpful!

Niels
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Hi Humahkhan,

I'm not the most experienced instructor, bit in my eyes you raise the wrong question.

I think, a course should be as long as it needs to be to provide value to the students. So i always think about the content and not about the duration.

However, i've realized that with more experience and better tools i developed a desire to remake most of my courses to improve the overall quality. This is obviously easier for shorter courses, so it might be a good idea to start with something short and simple to gain experience.

Best regards

Niels

Go to solution

Hey @Niels , Thanks for the constructive idea. I will definitely keep that in mind while creating my course.

Mayam
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Hi @HumahKhan768 

That's an awesome decision to teach here on Udemy.

Even though Udemy's minimum is 30 minutes, majority of students prefer courses with longer duration. Unfortunately, less is NOT more in Udemy.

Want to see it yourself? Look at the course duration of all the best-sellers. For the course to be a real value for money, the number of lectures and course duration MATTERS.

As a first time instructor, when i published a course with 30-minutes of content, it is obviously not sufficient. I learnt it from my students' reviews.

I see that you're an English teacher. I would suggest you go with a minimum of 6 hours.

Mayam
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

@HumahKhan768 

If you offer your course for free, it should not exceed 2 hours.

If you are planning to sell at a price, the duration needs to be longer.

You can always add new content later.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.
Top Liked Authors