Is it OK to wear multiple outfits in your on-line course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it OK to wear multiple outfits in your on-line course?

Hello, dear Udemy instructors! 

I would appreciate some insight and guidance with regards to the Instructor's outfit in the on-line course offered. Would it be OK, meaning not distracting for students, if I change my outfit when filming my online course? 

This is going to be my very first on-line course in my life time :)! Yes, it took me a while to get to this stage....So I would appreciate your advice, as have got some mixed feelings and would like to clear this doubt.

Look forward to hearing your insights. Wishing everybody a great day!

Best regards,

Dillyara Dosmakova 

7 Replies

Hey @DILLYARA 

Yes! You can change your outfit if you want.

@DILLYARA 
Love this question. When I first started recording myself, I would change outfits for each lecture. Then, I adapted to wearing the same thing as it gave continuity in my mind. I never asked if students felt distracted by the wardrobe change. The point is for us to establish a connection with our students, and I really don’t think it matters to them what we wear, it’s what they learn. Having done both, I’m sticking with my signature outfit and scarf. Interested to hear other responses and perspectives. 

Thanks, Alexia for such a detailed reply! Signature outfit sounds really cool...! I think, your approach resonates quite well with what Frank also suggested in his reply, which i also liked and found quite useful. 

Best,

Dillyara 

I love this question too. I think there's no set rule, you could go either way. The next course I'm working on is broken down to 2 types of lectures: one is theory and the other is application/exercise lectures; I'm planning on wearing one outfit for all the theory lectures and another one for the practice/application lectures. I'm also planning on having a different background/set up for each. This way I can get the best of both worlds: continuity and also a change of pace to keep it visually fresh. 

Thanks, Dana for your reply and for sharing your filming approach. Felt intrigued:)...

I also love freshness and creativity, and that's what exactly caused my query, as wanted to strike the right balance between the two and do some sense check...:)

Best,

Dillyara 

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't think students really care. But, it can help with your own "personal branding" - whatever that's worth - to have some consistent wardrobe element that students associate with you. For me it's always wearing a flat cap when I'm on screen.

There's also something to be said for the little bit of extra confidence you get from taking the effort to add some extra consistency to your videos.

Thank you, Frank indeed for your feedback! You quite grasped what I had in mind. My intent is to convey my message with confident and creative consistency! 🙂 

I've got, using Alexia's term, my signature dress style. But i never thought of wearing a certain wardrobe element consistently. You triggered some good thinking...We'll see if I come up with something. 

Thank you all for being so helpful and responsive! Wishing everyone a Happy Friday and a beautiful weekend! 

Best,

Dillyara 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.
Top Liked Authors