Seeking some advise on doing taxes from income I receive from Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking some advise on doing taxes from income I receive from Udemy

Hi! I am an instructor in Udemy, and I have a couple of courses through which I started making income, and I need some advise or guidance on how taxes can be done through the income from Udemy, I understand that Udemy will not provide tax advise on this, but if you are an instructor from India or you have some idea on how this can be done, please let me know, it seems like not all accountants here are aware of Udemy, and It helps if you help me navigate through the right channel.

4 Replies
PaulS
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Hey Naresh,

I don't know about Indian tax law, but I would imagine the concepts are similar to Australia, US , UK etc.

1: Personal income (from any source e.g. Udemy not pre-taxed) will attract a tax liability 

2: Income derived (from any source e.g. Udemy) as a commercial enterprise will attract a tax liability

What do you do now when you file an income tax return to your local Tax authority, I would imagine you'd need to declare other income on the return.

Call your "Income Tax Department" they'll advise you.

I declare income from Udemy courses like if Udemy was a client. I also work as a Marketing consultant and here in Portugal there is not such a thing as "income from websites or marketplaces", so my accountant advised me to add Udemy as a "client" in the income report. Hope this helps you!

@Naresh498 hi naresh, It's Ca Abhishek Jain. If you need tax planning and filing assistance for Udemy income you can contact me. 

Pl note 31.7.23 is the last date to file itr and claim FTC (Withhold tax by Udemy in USD as per form 1042-S).

Thanks
Best regards
Ca Abhishek Jain

Website: https://tax2save.in/service/global-income-tax-filing/

Udemy deducts Tax from your income from Udemy. However, you can claim that withholding back while filing your Indian tax return as per the India - US tax treaty.

As you are providing service to Udemy US, you also have to apply for GST and do all the GST compliance throughout the year. However, you can apply for exemption from payment of GST as you are exporting the service out of india. It would be little technical to write all the steps here. 

If anyone needs assistance in income tax return filing + Annual GST compliance for the income from Udemy US, i would be happy to assist as a Certified Chartered Accountant

Important Note: You may loose the FTC [Foreign Tax Credit] permanently for the particular year, if you do not apply for rebate before filing your ITR/Revised ITR and similar is also applicable for GST if you did not applied for GST exemption at earliest. 

Regard

Ca Abhishek Jain 

Tax2Save.in

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.