Welcome to our new home! from Lindsay Marsh!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LindsayMarsh
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Welcome to our new home! from Lindsay Marsh!

Go to solution

50-classes-headshot.jpg

I thought I would take a moment and introduce myself! My name is Lindsay Marsh and I have been an active Udemy instructor for almost two years. 

After around 12 years of full-time graphic design freelance work, I decided to take a leap of faith and create my first course on Udemy in 2016. It was not easy street, I had to learn so many new things like how to edit video, buying a decent microphone, and how to write decent curriculum, it was a little overwhelming at first. I found that I enjoyed this process of learning new skillsets and decided to create a second course, even though my first course was struggling to get off the ground.

After my fourth course, I started to hit my stride and really enjoy the entire teaching process. Fast forward two years and I am now a full-time instructor. It is nice to shift away from client work and to create projects that “I want to do” for my students to show them the skills I have picked up over the years in my trade.

I have enjoyed building some really fantastic long-term relationships with some of the instructors here, with some of them becoming dear friends. I suggest really diving into this community head first, do not feel afraid of asking the “stupid questions” because I had many of them when I first started. Boy, I had a lot to learn. So I am here to help answer some those questions and to let you know you are not alone in this teaching journey.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vesna
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

That's exactly where I am right now.
Just launched a second course after 3 years Smiley Embarassed

Decided to spend time creating new courses, just to practice the whole process of creating, launching, updating, marketing... even in the less popular category-topic (jewelry). 

I'm realizing udemy is about long-term strategy, continuous action, quality and quantity. All at the same time.

Exquisite Jewelry Artisan @ Craaloosh Jewelry

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

I agree with the part of "diving head first" into the community. It has really helped me make changes to my approach and to my courses that have helped quality and conversion. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

Thank you, this is very inspiring and it's nice that people share and are ready to help one another. My friend and I just published our second course, waiting for approval I should say, and our first one has gained one student in two weeks or so but reading all your posts guys I see how others went through similar things and how truly it takes time at first or can take time at first.

I totally realate to the learning part...but it's fun and there is nothing I would rather do than what I am doing now with all of it so it's worth it just for the feeling of satisfaction.

Fantastic that you are sharing your knowledge with your students and that you enjoy it so much, being a good teacher is not easy and takes much passion on top of much knowledge and the ability to laugh when we make mistakes, hehehe, and then go improve.

Thank you for sharing with us. You guys inspire us.

LindsayMarsh
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Francesca

Oh yes, I had that one student my first whole month and wondered what was I doing here? But you have to build that audience at some point, not everyone starts on Udemy with an already existing audience, and it takes time. 

I think you got to have passion for what you teach and have a little fun while doing it. I do this 40 hours a week now, so for me, enjoying the process is really critical. And laughing, having fun with other instructors keeps this process way more fun! 

Vesna
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Nice to know more about your udemy-story @LindsayMarsh.
What I love most about it is that you realized you enjoy the process and you kept learning, improving and making new courses, even when those first few weren't senzationally successfull. I LOVE that!
Thanks for sharing 🙂

LindsayMarsh
Community Champion

Go to solution

Thank you @Vesna !!! I think being stubborn is a good quality to have in this case! Put your nose on the grindstone and creating that content knowing someday, it could catch on.  I could have given up after those first few courses, but something told me to keep going.

Vesna
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

That's exactly where I am right now.
Just launched a second course after 3 years Smiley Embarassed

Decided to spend time creating new courses, just to practice the whole process of creating, launching, updating, marketing... even in the less popular category-topic (jewelry). 

I'm realizing udemy is about long-term strategy, continuous action, quality and quantity. All at the same time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.