website other then trello.com

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website other then trello.com

Go to solution

hi all

may i know what other websites or softwares other then trello.com can i use to plan all my videos and courses in advance and write down all my points in the software, what other software or website do we have to plan our you tube videos and courses

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TameraDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Yup, we use both Trello and the whole Google suites for planning and organization of our courses. Both work well for Jason and I to keep track and for real time updates for our VAs on the other side of the globe. Keeps us all up to date and organized. We use Trello for things like tracking errors in videos, suggestions, upcoming courses we are hoping to build, etc. We use Google sheets for Course outlines and status updates of what lectures are filmed, if they are edited, uploaded, if there are errors in it or sound issues, etc.

*Brains behind Jason Dion*

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Go to solution

Hey @Johnboh, I've seen some instructors use Google Sheets and Docs like @JasonDion. Some instructors keep it classic with a course notebook like @SharonRamel

There are a lot of project management tools out there and some may work better for you than others. A lot of them are free or have a freemium model!

TameraDion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Yup, we use both Trello and the whole Google suites for planning and organization of our courses. Both work well for Jason and I to keep track and for real time updates for our VAs on the other side of the globe. Keeps us all up to date and organized. We use Trello for things like tracking errors in videos, suggestions, upcoming courses we are hoping to build, etc. We use Google sheets for Course outlines and status updates of what lectures are filmed, if they are edited, uploaded, if there are errors in it or sound issues, etc.

*Brains behind Jason Dion*
SharonRamel
Community Champion

Go to solution

I keep it totally simple with mind maps and my trusty visual diary. I actually use Udemy as my “sandpit” when I am putting a course together, it is easy to move sections and lectures around and works for me.My visual course diaryMy visual course diary

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose
JasonDion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would say the right tool is the one that works for you. I know a lot of people swear by Trello for their outlining and filming phases, but it doesn’t work well for me so we don’t use it for that. Instead, I’m a bit old school and like a simple spreadsheet with color codes and columns. That’s how I outline the course and track the production. We do it in Google sheets because it’s always online and multiple people can edit it at once. If I was operating by myself, good old Excel works fine, too. 

Now, Trello has been an awesome tool for us as a “big tracking” system. Once we finish a course and publish it, my assistant creates an outline of the course (columns for sections, Cards for lessons) for every video and quiz in the course. Then, if students find something broken, bad spelling, anything really that needs to be fixed, we add it to the Trello card and turn the card Red. Every 3 months, my assistant gives me a list of things I need to refilm, explain better, etc, and then we fix then and turn the card back to green once uploaded. 

Bottom line is that you need to find what works for you!

Jason

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Go to solution

I personally use Todoist, because I already use it all the time 🙂

A course is a project and then I add a todo for every lecture in the course. I use sub-projects for the status of the lectures. This way I see at a glance how many lectures I still have to preprare, to record, to edit, to upload or to finalize. I also collect all other todos around the course in that same project. And if I see later that a lecture needs updating, I write in a comment what I have to do and take it out of "done" and put it back into "record" or "prepare" 🙂

Nice thing about Todoist's Pro account: You can save templates for recurring projects. So for a new course I just add a project, apply the template and I am done.

It's also easy to print the whole project and put it on your desk as a piece of paper as well. Sometimes that helps to focus.

It's a good solution for me because it fits well into how I organize myself already. I also use Trello for other projects, but Todoist just seems easier to manage for me. It's a very personal choice in the end and there's not "best" tool or solution for this.

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 12.58.59 PM.png

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Some of us are very simple. I just plan my course using PPTs. I develop graphics in Corel Draw, outline my sections, lectures, and content of each lecture in PPTs and then I am ready to go. I don't see any need for any other software. But... that is just me.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

I used the free version of Asana to organize my most recent course. I use it in my day job, and so I'm familiar with it. 

I first laid out my curriculum in Asana. Each lecture was a task with multiple subtasks under it that tracked where I was in the creation/production cycle for that lecture. I also used it to track other tasks needed in course creation like my landing page, launch email, etc.

Go to solution

Similar to Trello, MeisterTask is a great free option, but has some more features at its core when it comes to auto-assignment when you transition a task to another column (It also has a minimal UI feel to it and just looks gorgeous).

However, as a Jira Instructor, I have fallen in love with Jira's flexibility and simplicity while using Scrum/Kanban using both Jira classic and next-gen projects. It isn't free, but for $10/month at the time of this post you get more bang for your buck compared to most other paid offerings in the project management software space.

Atlassian, the company that owns the Jira Software application, also acquired Trello and I can see the simplicity of Trello in the new Jira Next-Gen Cloud software. The #1 thing I like about Jira is the ability to report on team velocity. Even for personal projects such as building my online courses, it's been very helpful to plan my work out with more accuracy over time while juggling a busy full-time software release management job and family life.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.