$250,000 and counting...

Options

Comments

• Joy D Moyo
    Options

Congratulations, this is very big. It’s amazing what Udemy helps us to achieve

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Thank you @Joy D Moyo
    Nice to meet you

• NwabuezeAfam007
    Options

Congrate Rahul..I am really inspired....

• HofmeyrdeVo128
    Options

What an amazing and inspiring journey!
    May I ask how you accomplish accreditation on your Udemy courses please? Is this something that is done via the relevant accreditation body for that specific industry?

• MikeFreeman
    Options

Congratulations Rahul,

I'm going through the same journey but some way behind yourself. I just quit my job to do this full time so roughly where you were this time last year.

Would you mind outlining some of the points you learned or picked up along the way that really helped boost your sales and income? Is it just a case of continually producing new courses or are there some things you changed that really made a difference?

I look forward to seeing your $1,000,000 post soon.

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Thank you @NwabuezeAfam007
    ... appreciate the note... nice meeting you

• ariyam66
    ariyam66 Posts: 131
    Options

Hi,

I appreciate your keenness to become successful at Udemy. So instead of leaving the job, you should have done it on a part-time basis. Because it looks like making money on Udemy is possible but slow.

Vathani

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Hi @HofmeyrdeVo128

Thank you for the comment and this is a great question. I think it is important for me to share my accreditation journey while answering this question. In a nutshell, I learned that accreditation is not a necessary requirement for us to be successful on Udemy.

Below are the details:

I sell my courses on Udemy and my own teachable site. I also do several instructor based online and classroom trainings. This accreditation was a requirement of one of my major clients.

Provider Selection and Investment of Cost, Time and Effort:

Since the client requirement was specific, it was easy for me to select the accreditation provider. The provider has a thorough and detailed review process. It took about 6-8 months of rigorous review of each course. They also have vast documentation requirement and a recurring annual investment of multiple thousand pounds to keep the accreditation active. They also have the ability to reject our application if they do not find our courses suitable. Since I have a long-term contract with this client and the costs were getting covered, it made sense to invest time, energy, and effort to get the accreditation.

Whether this accreditation positively affects our sales on Udemy?

I felt that accreditation would significantly and positively affect our sales on Udemy. But considering the investment of time, cost, and effort, the return on investment for the accreditation is negligible. My sales are the same as they were before accreditation. I am making the most of this accreditation on my website. To be successful on Udemy, you need good reviews, top page ranking, good title, and subtitle, promo video, and overall a good quality course. My recent experience have taught me that accreditation is not a necessary requirement for us to be successful on Udemy.

Conclusion: In my humble opinion, if you have a strong business case to seek accreditation, then it would make sense to go for it. Their price tag is high, have a recurring annual cost, efforts are significant, documentation requirement is enormous, and they have the ability to reject our application if they do not find our programs meet their desired benchmarks.

I do not intend to discourage. Just sharing all that I had been through to seek this accreditation. If I was not selling my courses on my website and only on Udemy, I would not make this investment. I would have used the time to focus on creating more courses and maintaining the existing lot.

I hope this helps. Please do let me know if you have additional questions.

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Hi @MikeFreeman

Thanks for the note. It is great to see that you are so dedicated in making your business successful on Udemy. It definitely helps to focus on one big ticket item. When you put your skin in the game, you are bound to succeed In my opinion, you will do extremely well, Mike.

During my journey, I did not do anything exceptional. I mostly did what every other long standing instructor would do. I will summarize the key points that helped me in the long-run:

1. Learning to be successful on Udemy

A few months ago, I read a post of an instructor who was successful on Skillshare but was struggling on Udemy. After reviewing his courses on Udemy, I realized that being successful on Udemy requires a deeper understanding of the platform. I have taken many official and unofficial Udemy courses to help learn what are the do's and don't s of this platform. I must have also read every single policy on Udemy Support page to understand what works and what we must not do.

2. Respond to students and show up in the Q&A Discussion frequently

Initially, I did not respond to students on the Q&A Discussion forum of my courses. But later realized the importance of this. So, I frequently respond to them and ensure their queries are answered. Students love when their instructors respond to their queries.

3. Respond to private messages within 24 to 48 hours

When a student reaches you using a private message, they are seriously looking for help or an answer (in most cases). I make a point to respond to them as early as possible.

4. Create courses regularly

As you rightly mentioned, creating courses is important on Udemy. Tools such as Marketplace Insights have been very helpful in identifying the right topics. Student feedback is another great source.

5. Update your courses regularly - especially the thumbnails, description, promo video, and content

After the pandemic, we have observed a rise in the number of instructors and courses on Udemy. To ensure we remain at the top, it is important to regularly update all that is needed.

6. Start showing up on Social Media

Students want to know more about their instructor (as an individual). I started showing up on my social media sites frequently, and this has definitely helped in getting the right recognition for my brand.

These are the main key points that have helped me in my journey. I continue to focus on these even today. I am sure they will help you too.

Feel free to let me know for any additional questions.

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Hello @ariyam66

Thank you for the note and nice to meet you here . In my humble opinion, the definition of slow depends upon the individual and his/her effort investment to grow on Udemy. There are several factors that determine whether you go slow or grow rapidly on this platform. These factors are:

1. The niche that you operate in
    2. The quality of your courses
    3. Your monthly earnings

I focused on creating good quality and in-demand courses in my niche. And I focused on a particular niche that I was strong at. This helped me grow at a moderate pace on the platform. Before leaving my full-time job, my Udemy earnings were 2x of my job salary. In fact, I was earning more than the India CEO of our bank. So, leaving the job and focusing only on Udemy was a no-brainer. Yes, but to reach this stage, I definitely toiled hard for six consecutive years possibly taking no holiday. After being a full-time Udemy instructor, my earnings have been 4x of my then job salary.

So, my experience of becoming a full-time Udemy instructor has been positive. There was no looking back.

• Noble570
    Options

Greetings of the day,

Love your work and congratulations and keep it up..

I will also see your courses...God Bless you..

This is Noble let me share my journey as Global Future Skills, Computer Science and Pure Consciousness Expert.

Got a Doctorate in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and I am a Pure Consciousness Expert for 6 years.

Achievement:

Served 6000+ Students and 500+ Teachers in 140 Countries Globally.

I have done Global Future Skills Implementation and Research for the last 15 Years.

Achieved 300+ Award for last 15 years:

I am a Lifelong Lerner of Future Skills, Future Technologies, and Art Creativity and Value Innovation.

I am Self Taught Computer – Artificial Intelligence Scientist, Super Pure Consciousness Expert, and Design Thinker.

Worked with Multinational Companies like GE and Wipro Technologies other below Organisation.

Entrepreneur:

Started two Successful Startups from Family Business to National and International levels.

Acquired skills:

1. Real Life Digital Skills.

2. Real Future Skills.

3. Real Pure Consciousness Skills.

4. Real Technologies Skills.

5. Soft Skills.

6. Real Life Project Management Skills.

7. Real Life Lean and Six Sigma.

8. Real Life Entrepreneurship Skills and I have done 500+ global digital and future skills training.

I have done 100+ Projects with these Skills with over 15 years:

1. GE.

2. Wipro Technologies.

3. Himalayan Institute of Alternatives Ladakh.

4. Teach for India.

5. Harvard Medical School.

6. Toastmasters International.

Attention:

Kindly follow me on Udemy and Youtube Channel to help me to reach 1000000 Students.

Vision: Teach real-life and problem-solving skills to One++ Billion people over the years Globally and serve humanity with true values of Devine Consciousness.

I make everyday new classes on Future Skills, Life Skills, Art, Crafts Social Media, Entrepreneurship, Sustainability, Artificial intelligence, Machine Learning, Design Thinking, Design Digital Classes, How to find Niches for different markets, Niche Research, 360 Mindfulness, Consciousness, Creativity, Business Strategies, Sales Strategies, Project Management, and other 300 Skills which I have learned over the years.

Gratitude till infinity,

Noble

• HofmeyrdeVo128
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question so comprehensivly @Rahul Iyer
    !!

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Most welcome @HofmeyrdeVo128

• StanVangild204
    Options

@Rahul Iyer
    Thanks! This is very helpful.

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Most welcome @StanVangild204

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Hey @Noble570
    .. Thank you for sharing your background. You've got a vast experience. Nice to meet you

• Noble570
    Options

My Gratitude to you and your family and all beings of the universe till infinity

• Jesmion
    Jesmion Posts: 102
    Options
    Thank for chosen Udemy as a career choice
  • MikeFreeman
    Options

Many thanks for your detailed reply. It's always good to hear from those further down the road and helps keep the momentum going.

Congratulations again and look forward to reading that $1,000,000 post from you.

• Jesmion
    Options
    Great! I thank you for making . Udemy your full times!
  • Jesmion
    Options
    I soldomly have querries; because, your full times works in Udemy gives me joy
  • Jesmion
    Options
    I rarely have querries; because, your full times with Udemy gave joy!
  • ManyAhas
    Options

I am impressed by your journey and I look forward to celebrating hitting the 250k mark in even less time. I hope I can learn how from you and the others you have mentioned in the post. Congratulations and well done!

• HanifLambe794
    Options

Congratulations Rahul Iyer.

Happy to read your inspirational journey.

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Hi @Jesmion

Nice to meet you. Go ahead and ask your query. Happy to answer.

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Sure. I wish you all the success in your journey. Nice to meet you @ManyAhas

• Rahul Iyer
    Options

Thank you @HanifLambe794
    . Nice to meet you

• Jesmion
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement towards being steadfast and courageous
  • Jesmion
    Options
    Thanks and congratulations! We need to be morally brave towards what's right!
  • SatV7
    SatV7 Posts: 19
    Options

Big congrats! I just released my first Udemy course on Machine Learning for Product / Non-Technical People. I used to do workshops on this course, so decided to put it online, my background is in elearning originally and ed-tech:

https://www.udemy.com/course/product-focused-ai/

Just launched it today lol, no users. The name, "Machine Learning Simple for Product Managers / UX Designers", doesn't come up easily in searching. Even, "Machine Learning Simple" or "Machine Learning for Product Managers", comes up more with the technical courses. Not sure how to fix the keywords accordingly. Am starting to send coupons to all my friends, family, tech colleagues to get more reviews, etc.. Then will post in reddits, etc. Still working on my free vs. coupon vs. paid strategy.

Have a long journey, but excited it's up to experiment with. I spent 2 years developing this course to make A.I. simple and product relevant. Love any advice if anybody has any? Thanks