Bad Decissions that led me to teach on Udemy

Options

Hi guys!

This last month I've been able to give a TEDx Talk where I shared my bad decissions that led me to teach IT on Udemy instead of becoming a doctor. It was inspiring for all the people that came to the event, and I think it should be also useful for those of you that are starting. I hope you enjoy that and feel free to share it if you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fJLVOAD3g&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Juan Gabriel Gomila

Comments

• FrankKane
    FrankKane Posts: 1,718 Community Champion rank
    Options

Wish I were bi-lingual! From what I can gather from the translated comments, this is a positive story about how what can seem like questionable decisions can lead to big successes in life.

My story is similar - I walked away from a position as a successful senior manager at Amazon and from millions of dollars' worth of stock grants, and moved to Florida without a job. Thanks to Udemy, it all worked out just fine.

But, it's important to remind people that most instructors do *not* earn a full-time living on Udemy. We were fortunate. The bigger message, I think, isn't about Udemy, but being willing to take chances (within reason) and try new opportunities that align with your passions and the lifestyle you want. Udemy was one of many avenues I explored for self-employment, and it just happened to be the one that worked out the best.

I'd be curious to hear if your story is similar.