Bad Decissions that led me to teach on Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Decissions that led me to teach on Udemy

Hi guys! 

This last month I've been able to give a TEDx Talk where I shared my bad decissions that led me to teach IT on Udemy instead of becoming a doctor. It was inspiring for all the people that came to the event, and I think it should be also useful for those of you that are starting. I hope you enjoy that and feel free to share it if you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fJLVOAD3g&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Juan Gabriel Gomila

1 Reply
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Wish I were bi-lingual! From what I can gather from the translated comments, this is a positive story about how what can seem like questionable decisions can lead to big successes in life.

My story is similar - I walked away from a position as a successful senior manager at Amazon and from millions of dollars' worth of stock grants, and moved to Florida without a job. Thanks to Udemy, it all worked out just fine.

But, it's important to remind people that most instructors do *not* earn a full-time living on Udemy. We were fortunate. The bigger message, I think, isn't about Udemy, but being willing to take chances (within reason) and try new opportunities that align with your passions and the lifestyle you want. Udemy was one of many avenues I explored for self-employment, and it just happened to be the one that worked out the best.

I'd be curious to hear if your story is similar.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors