Can We Have A Round of Applause for the Unseen and Unnamed Heroes and Heroines?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Can We Have A Round of Applause for the Unseen and Unnamed Heroes and Heroines?

The month of August is effectively over with the end of the promotion and return to list prices. This month was FANTASTIC!!!! My enrollment numbers (not exactly the same as revenue, but it correlates) were up 97% year-over-year and beat the January numbers. For those of you who are new, November and January are always the best months of the year. Take a look at my enrollment data below.

Is this a pat on my own back? Definitely NOT! I didn't do this. I have had only one new course in the past year (the blue at the bottom of the columns) and that has been a minor contribution. 

What most instructors do not think about, because they are invisible to us, is that there is a marketing team that sits in San Francisco who decide where to place ads, how much to spend for different ad buys, how to promote different categories of courses in which locations, etc. etc. This team is drawn from people with experience at Google and other major internet marketing companies. THEY ARE DOING A BRILLIANT JOB!!! We instructors owe them a huge round of applause for the brilliant work they are doing. They are responsible for that 97% increase in enrollments, not me. So let us instructors give them a well deserved round of applause!

applause-clap.jpgCapture-yoy erollments August.JPG

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
8 Replies

Good to know about  the marketing team and congratulations on your success. You also deserve credit for making marketable courses!

LL
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

@Lizzy Yes, it sure helps to create marketable courses. But... without a strong marketing team, they are pretty useless. A lot of instructors think they can simply create their own website to distribute their courses and they will get 100% of the revenue.... so easy! But, 100% of zerio is zero. Marketing courses from your own platform is no easy matter and most instructors have little idea how to make that work. I am very happy to rely on Udemy's team!

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

I agree and it's one of the reasons I am so excited to be creating content on Udemy. Running my own business,  I knew the pain of self-marketing. And the expense! I am having so much fun- although it's hard work - creating my Udemy courses. I love the teaching and creative part. I am also not expecting overnight success. My expectation is that I will create 10 courses then hopefully see some results. 

LL
LindsayMarsh
Community Champion

Awesome growth and chart!!! @LawrenceMMiller 

I too have noticed a HUGE bump this month! This month has been my highest on Udemy, and no I only launched one course in the last two months and that was not the biggest chunk of my increase. 

I also have heard students say they saw my YouTube ads, well I do not run YouTube ads, so it must be that amazing Udemy marketing team at work! 

@LindsayMarsh It's so encouraging to hear about other instructors' success. I am really enjoying making my first course. Not long until I submit it for review now. I just need to choose between Payoneer and PayPal. These practical details hold me back.

LL
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Don't be held back by details like that. PayPal works great, if you are in the U.S. There are some countries where it can't be used. Either one will get you your money. The main thing is get your course published and move on to your second and third courses. That is when your sales will be begin to pick up. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

I wholeheartedly agree @LawrenceMMiller 

@Augusta turned out to be my best month ever, beating last November (my previous best) by some margin.

If this November continues on the same upward trend as the last few months have the. It’s going to be a special month!!

To each of the Udemy Team...... Thank you 🙏 

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing this, @LawrenceMMiller.

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors