Charging Toward $100K by 5 Years; Is That Good or Bad?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charging Toward $100K by 5 Years; Is That Good or Bad?

Go to solution
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

It is not bad. If you ask for a person living in Paksitan, earning 2000-3000 USD/month is a big amount. I can change my car every year, dine in fine resturatnts etc. 

But it might be low for living comfortably in Newyork or san francisco!

View solution in original post

19 Replies
SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Congrats @Anonymous and welcome to the milestone club!

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Sharon,

Thanks.  Is $100k a milestone.  I don't know if you're sworn to secrecy, but does something happen?

I've been equally interested in 100k students and 5k reviews that I'm also approaching.

Here's hoping for good news for all in the future ;-).

---Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Also, notice that as Udemy revenue flattens out SkillShare and Stack Commerce step in to more than compensate.  I've recently been switching the bulk of my efforts to bolstering this platforms along with iStudy and Teachable.

All the best,

---Brian

Go to solution

Which one is best? What about the teachable? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@Sijal_Ahmed,

They all pay money so I'd recommend publishing on as many platforms as you can without distracting from Udemy (my primary cash cow).

I do Teachable as well but have only managed to give away free courses on that platform.  Unlike Udemy, SkillShare and StackCommerce, Teachable requires you to build the marketing infrastructure to bring students to your school.  I have yet to build that infrastructure.  Another platform I've only just begun to explore is iStudy in the UK.  Hope this helps.

---Brian

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Only you can decide if that is good or bad 🙂

I think it is better than most instructors do on the platform (or any platform), and where they wish they were.

Stackcommerce is just your own hosting? If so good traction, actually regardless if it is own or them offering your courses, looks like good progress.

Skillshare to me was just not worth it. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@Thor ,

I feel like after 5 years spent on this platform I'm what's known as a midlist instructor.  Sigh...

StackCommerce is some magical platform that found me and has since provided a lot of money per year.  Once I've figured out how it works I'll no doubt be providing a Udemy courses ;-).

I was less than impressed by SkillShare at first, but then the $500 per month became more and more significant.

Thanks for the input,

---Brian

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Very cool man on the stackcommerce 🙂 

Magic money totally works.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

Congrats on hitting $100K! 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Congratulations!

It's good! The slope of the line is good. Progress is good. 

We are all different, in our cost of living, or field of knowledge, our financial needs, etc. so I think comparing one instructor to another is a bad idea. You have to decide whether the time you put into course development is worth it relative to other ways you could spend your time. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

Not sure what you're expecting as an answer.

$1000 per month on Udemy probably puts you in the top 1000 instructors. But not the top 500. So, it's not amazing, no. But congratulations. Money is money.

Go to solution

Udemy has over 25K insturctors. And around 24K are earning less than $1000/month! Is this true?  

What about $5000/month? How many instructors are earning this much amount on udemy? 

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

Udemy does not have over 25K active instructors. 

How many instructors do you think have published or updated a course in the last 12 months? Let's start there. Because if someone published a single course 3 years ago, they didn't put any work in and they deserve to not be getting good results.

$1000 per month is good money in many parts of the world. Exceeds what a lot of people make at their full time jobs. And Udemy is not a full time job and for many people, they do nothing (0 hours of effort) to earn that each month not even answering student questions. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@ScottDuffy 

1) Reporting from California, $1000/mo is not good money.
2) I'm working my butt off to be the most student responsive instructor on the site.  I find it somewhat insulting suggesting that we deserve lesser income because we of the middle are slackers.

3) "Udemy is not a full time job."  I agree and find this unfortunate compared with alternatives.

---Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@ScottDuffy 

I think I was looking for the same response I had and the one you just gave me.

Effectively: "$100k is always good, but in this instance it isn't great."

Thanks,

---Brian

Go to solution

You have 40+ courses and you are earning around $2500-$3000 /month, this means that you are earning less than $100/Course. Is it normal? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@Sijal_Ahmed 

It's worse than that.  I have 44 courses, over 90k students, almost 5k reviews and a 4.3 instructor rating and I'm making more like $2000/mo from Udemy.  Yes, my courses are old and getting tired which doesn't help but I keep adding to them and try to update them.

The other thing to note in the chart is that my Udemy revenue pretty much flattened out by my 2nd year.  I'm happy with the other sites kicking in additional revenue and am focusing on that area of late to increase my overall online course creation earnings.

After coming off earning $500k in 5 years self-publishing Amazon books I'm pretty disappointed to have only made $100k in the same time with Udemy.

I would hope that others are seeing better returns from their efforts and what I'm experiencing is not normal.

---Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Sorry everyone for whinning about only making $100k.  Sometimes I need to kick myself ;-).

---Brian

Go to solution

It is not bad. If you ask for a person living in Paksitan, earning 2000-3000 USD/month is a big amount. I can change my car every year, dine in fine resturatnts etc. 

But it might be low for living comfortably in Newyork or san francisco!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors