cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free T-Shirt arrived but is not free.

Go to solution

So, I got my free t-shirt today, but I have to pay a nearly £13 customs fee to pick up from the post office.

Not free in the end. Originally the t-shirt is $25 which convert around £18.90, so I nearly pay this in fees.

I am waiting to hear a good explanation of this matter.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hi @Anonymous, we are happy to cover the fee. We were unable to do so when we shipped out the shirts, but are happy to make it right. Let me know if you decide to accept the shirt, and we'll reach out to figure out the customs fee.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Go to solution

Hi @Anonymous, glad you got your shirt! It sounds like there was a customs fee for your country. We weren't able to pay for it on your behalf when we were sending it out, but our team will reach out to you directly to get that figured out!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Thank you. I know it is a strange situation, but it is something that needs thinking about for sure. I will wait for the replay of your team.

Thanks

Hypnodan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I am assuming I'll get a letter saying to do the same then. I would think of the T-Shirt as a gift and so at that price not something to pay VAT on, but unfortunately it isn't a gift if it is from a company. If it isn't classed as a gift then if it is under £15 you don't pay VAT etc, so it is annoying that it is just over this if it hasn't been sent as a gift and so you have to pay the handling fee to pay the charge which is higher than the charge itself...

Here is the guidance from the UK Government website:

VAT

You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EUspecial territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

• gifts worth more than £39
  • other goods worth more than £15
  • alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.

You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

• the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
  • any duty you owe

All the best

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Thank you, Dan. I know the guidelines for the UK because I receive regular shipments from all around the world. However, what I am trying to point here is simple.

As a company, Udemy should think about that and make it sure to organize and send the T-Shirts as a gift. Otherwise, it is just no fare as some people must pay fees and some don't. 

Cheers

Georgi

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

Unfortunately as a business according to the gifts part of the guidelines they can't put it down as a gift, even though that is what I would see it as, but perhaps for future if they do similar either ensure they put the cost price of the item rather than perhaps the retail price so that if it is just something like a t-shirt it is under the £15 limit, or make sure that they say upfront that there maybe customs, tax and fees due, then people can check what these will be and whether they want to still receive the item.

Like most people I hadn't even thought about customs and tax, I just thought it is a free item being sent.

All the best

Dan 

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

I don't think you should blame Udemy for local customs laws. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I am not blaming anyone. All I say is Udemy should check this and give us an option. I wouldn't opt in for a free t-shirt if I knew I have to pay for customs. I will provide my t-shirt to someone else from the list. 

Make sense?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I just refused delivery of the T-shirt because I had to pay 12.35 euros of customs clearance fees and for something that was supposed to be a free premium I thought it was a nonsense

Go to solution

Hi @Anonymous, we are happy to cover the fee. We were unable to do so when we shipped out the shirts, but are happy to make it right. Let me know if you decide to accept the shirt, and we'll reach out to figure out the customs fee.

Go to solution

Hi  @JocelynH , I have accepted my T-Shirt, but had to pay customs duties of Rs. 915/-. Is it possible to look into this?

Go to solution

Hey @PavanKumarMT, glad you got the shirt! Someone from our team will reach out to you directly regarding the customs fee.

Go to solution

Hi @JocelynH ,

Thank you so much for the quick response and resolution. Proud of wearing the Udemy T-Shirt in my next lectures 🙂

Thanks Once again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I have accepted the t-shirt, and Udemy was very kind to add funds to my teacher earnings. It's a perfect solution and nice of them to do so. 

Go to solution

Hey guys!

What happened to you!!!

Many great people are talking about $13 that you paid for your country tax for better life in your country for your people!

When a gentleman gets a gift it's not polite to talk about such a tiny things!

Be like the lover ,I mean love the Udemy and all their Staff.So magnify theirs goodness and forget these matters.

During my past 20 years of programming experiences and 17 years teaching and CEO at some companies I found Udemy the best company in my life!

Let's talk about how to create better Udemy community and more important topics!  Smiley Happy

Regards;

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors