Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

How many students do you have?

Go to solution

Hello fellow Instructors. For inspiration, I thought it might be fun to share student numbers. Plus any tips you might have on growing your student base?

15000 push Capture.PNG

Personally, I have been working very hard since christmas to hit my goal of 15,000 by end of april 2019. I have been active in many facebook groups, not advertising, but helping, offering advice and positioning myself as knowledgable in my niche. I have seen a lot of growth since I started this push (approx 300!). Many have come from organic growth, but quite a few have followed my social profiles back to udemy and ended up buying one or more courses.

What have you been doing to promote yourself and your courses? Share below.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

503E1620-FE4C-4116-BBF5-05590B4C7762.png

I agree with Jason in that your best marketing is a good product. I get a lot of word of mouth enrollments. Some things I've noticed that help:

1. Building courses that are adjacent to each other in topic. It's much easier to build user affinity if you have several courses that all meet their needs (if they like your first course, then they would also like x.y,z courses you offer) 

2. Making sure whenever you pick a topic, you know you can win the category. There's no point really in making the second best course on x topic

It's also worth thinking about what is unique about your teaching style. Is there something you do differently than other instructors? Thinking outside of the box can make the experience more memorable and share-worthy

View solution in original post

78 Replies
JasonDion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Well, it is the day after the superbowl, so I am going to measure my numbers that way. I've been on Udemy for 26 months now, and I have taught enough students to fill up the stadium for the Super Bowl. That's over 65,000 students!

As for marketing, the best marketing you can ever do is to serve your students well. My students are the ones out there marketing me. When they succeed because of my courses, they post about it on Reddit, Facebook groups, and all over the internet. I never asked them to do it, they just did because they were so happy with their results.

Beyond that, I also help in various Facebook groups, have held livestreams, and do a small bit of email marketing during new course launches, but for the most part, I rely on Udemy and my students to market my courses, and I continue to work on my part: making the best courses with the most value possible!

Jason

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Go to solution

503E1620-FE4C-4116-BBF5-05590B4C7762.png

I agree with Jason in that your best marketing is a good product. I get a lot of word of mouth enrollments. Some things I've noticed that help:

1. Building courses that are adjacent to each other in topic. It's much easier to build user affinity if you have several courses that all meet their needs (if they like your first course, then they would also like x.y,z courses you offer) 

2. Making sure whenever you pick a topic, you know you can win the category. There's no point really in making the second best course on x topic

It's also worth thinking about what is unique about your teaching style. Is there something you do differently than other instructors? Thinking outside of the box can make the experience more memorable and share-worthy

Go to solution

Incredible

Muslim Helalee - Full Stack Web Developer and Instructor
ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

Image 2019-02-04 at 4.18.40 PM.png

I like how the next step after 100,000 is 500,000... Going to take me a year or two to get there. But I love the optimism...

Go to solution
Wow. This is great. As I see you're also teaching technical stuff. My first course is on the way. Good luck !
AxelParis
Community Champion

Go to solution

Wahow you get great numbers Smiley Very Happy

Personnally I am 6 000 students for more than 1 year. I hope finish this year with 10 000 students, that will be awesome 🙂

Go to solution

I'm in a similar position to you Robin. Hope to hit 15,000 soon enough! 🙂 

Capture.PNG

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

Loving it! You are nicely ahead. I am going to have to crack on and get my next course wrapped up soon.. 😉

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

I've got 23,000 students and have been on Udemy since 2014 and full time since 2015.

I write books, blog, have a Facebook group and do youtube to keep people aware of me, build a reputation and promote my courses.

All the best 

Dan 

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

Awesome Dan. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing 😉

Go to solution

6109 students and proud. 🙂 It's just one free course and advertised it a little bit on youtube! 

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

And rightly so. 6109 Students are all learning from YOU! Way to go 😉

Go to solution

stu.png

Soon I will get 15,000. Very much excited!

Go to solution

Hello high acheivers. This is my student count in the 14 months.

My advise to other creators that want big numbers is to make sure that you provide a HUGE amount of value that far surpasses any other course in your category. Value is defined in many ways, but I know that is one thing I am doing that has helped me kill my numbers in my category, in addition to offering legitmate, good training that isn't just fluff and "circle-talking" which can be a big problem in my business. Be legitimate.

Screenshot_2019_02_07_12_01_49@2x.jpg

Go to solution

Thats what I've striving for!

LindsayMarsh
Community Champion

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 11.11.29 AM.png

Great thread topic, Robin! I have found that spending time with each student who asks a question or posts a project is essential. Not only do they come back to purchase other courses but the usually give you higher review ratings, giving you a better chance to rank higher organically in search. I have a student facebook group which helps to foster this relationship as well. I offer feedback on every project posted as well as holding monthly design challenges where I give live video feedback on all projects submitted. So really, just taking care of your student base, every single day.

Go to solution

Capture3e3.JPG

Digital Course Creator - Happy to connect with other instructors

Go to solution

I'm impressed by your 261 courses. That's almost 1.5 courses a week for 3.5 years.

Go to solution

Thanks, I always have a plan for more and enjoy making them.

Go to solution

Next milestone really really far away

500000.JPG

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors