How to price my first course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to price my first course?

i‘m working on my first course and I would like to know how to price it in order to reach many people as well as proove that I deliver good content which is worth being bought later on. 
Is it smart to offer m course for free first or rather price at 19.99$?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience in this regard!

Greetings Luca (rookie instructor on udemy)

3 Replies

Hi 👋 @Luca.U This is an interesting topic. I’m interested to hear the replies. I have courses priced at different amounts. At the end of the day, Udemy will discount the course regardless of the price you place on it. When I historically offered my courses for free, I got a lot of sign ups, however no feedback or reviews……crickets. I have a 10 hour course for $199 and then a quick 1 hour course for 19.99. Then a shorter Human Resources course with a lot of articles that I wrote, as resources, so $199. All will sell for 9.99 to 12.99 or whatever the sale is, regardless of price. Hope this helps.

MarkLassoff
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Believe it or not-- It doesn't matter much.  I have a couple of dozen current courses priced between $19.99 and $199.99.

Most courses sell at promotional prices generated by sales, advertising, or internal promotions.

Here's an example:

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 4.49.45 PM.pngThese are two sales from January.  The first course is $199.99, the second $49.99-- but my royalty on the cheaper course was 3x the first.

It's not random, but, there's little relationship between the price you choose and what you earn. 

My advice is price fairly for your market, and promote, promote, promote!

Good luck!

Mark Lassoff

Hi @Luca.U ,

For me, it is also interesting to know other instructors view regarding this topic.

But as far as I know,  although offering your course for free helps you to reach lots of students,  most of these students will not engage or watch your course after enrolling which will lead to poor performance. If your course is good enough, then I assume you will easily reach lot's of students by promoting it yourself.

This is just what I've heard from other instructors and I've not offered my courses for free so far. Let's see what other instructors say about this.

Good luck!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors