Milestone first 1 star review

Options

Got my first 1 star review after 15 months and 8 courses on Udemy. No comment just the 1 star. Strange thing is student completed 100 per cent of a 5 hour course in , I beleive , 1 day.

You think they might have decided after 15 minutes that they never liked the course ?

My usual experience is that students who

complete 100 per cent of a course usually do so as they are enjoying it and leave good reviews ?

Don't really understand this ?

Comments

• ElianaC
    ElianaC Posts: 5,227 Udemy rank
    Options

Hi @RossMcGowan
    There are a number of factors a student can review in the first couple of minutes, such as the course’s audio & video quality and an instructor’s teaching style. To make this first impression great, we recommend providing a lot of value in the first 10-30 minutes of your course to hook your students and make them want to continue your course (and leave a good early review).

We also found that asking for reviews early on is really helpful for new courses because students are more likely to take a course with “social proof”. If we didn’t ask for reviews early on, it may take days, or even months, for someone to finish your course and leave a review.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community

• RossMcGowan
    Options

Hi Esther.

Thank you for the reply.

I asked the student to comment on the course to give me some more feedback but no response.

It just seems odd that someone buys a course after looking at 5 or 6 free videos , knows what they are buying into , then does the entire 4 and a half hour course the same afternoon as purchasing then leaves a 1 star and get's a refund ?

You would have thought they could have worked out the course was not for then after 15 minutes (not 4 and half hours).

Any way putting it behind me and moving on now.

• RossMcGowan
    Options

Thank you Eliana

• Clare_Lynch
    Options

Is it possible they didn't complete the course by their own choice? Could they have been told they had to do it - and so they ran through it quickly just to get the certificate to show their manager?

This is something I've encountered with Udemy for Business students.

• RossMcGowan
    Options

Never thought of that.

Thanks.

• debra1111
    debra1111 Posts: 229
    Options

That happened to me and it turned out the student was a teacher in the exact same subject. My course is Intro level so there was no reason for her to take it except a bad review or to copy videos. I feel like a real one star review for your course would have left a comment to help other students.

• Bibhatsu
    Bibhatsu Posts: 27
    Options

I also got a 1 star review recently. Tried to communicate with the student and ask for feedback , and why he/she didnt like my course, so that i can improve my courses.
    Students get notifications when instructor drop a message, so basically the student ignored not to answer me.
    I think its FUN for many students, to complete the course 100%, learn, and then give 1 star review and get full refund.