Neuro Linguistic Programming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neuro Linguistic Programming

Go to solution

What is NLP?

There are many explanation to NLP. Simply put, NLP is about how organizations and individuals get their outstanding results.

NLP is about subjective experience how we structure it in a way that impacts our values , beliefs and how we create our emotional states to build our internal world and give it meaning.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GrahamNicholls
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

For me, the true core of NLP is about modelling. Modelling language, modelling patterns and modelling excellence.

This is where it all started in the book The Structure of Magic (Vol I & II)

View solution in original post

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

For me I would agree with @GrahamNicholls that NLP is about modelling. When I hear people say that this politician is using NLP and that business is using NLP and then I read what they are referring to they always seem to refer to things like certain ways of communicating hypnotically and are calling this NLP when it isn't.

It could be that they used NLP to model influential speakers etc but this is rarely what is said. If I learned to play basketball using NLP to model a successful basketball player of about my height I would be playing basketball but will have used NLP to look at all aspects that the player I wanted to model had, from what they did and do to be in appropriate physical shape, to how they physically perform things, to what emotions they have at different times and what they focus on and what types of thoughts they have and how those thoughts are represented in their mind, and what awareness they have at various times and how they decide what to do during the game etc. .. Doing all of this modelling would be doing NLP, playing basketball in the style of that player based on my modelling would be playing basketball. It is interesting that people wouldn't watch me slam dunk a ball and say "that is NLP" but people will watch a politician using spatial anchoring and will say "that is NLP" when actually both maybe the result of NLP approach to modelling, but neither is NLP itself.

So for me when asked "what is NLP?" I say it is an approach to modelling how someone does what they do so that others can know what they need to know to be able to learn to do the same." It isn't about influence and manipulation etc. There are techniques which can come from this modelling, like the fast phobia cure which could be described as coming from NLP, but things like the meta model and Milton model etc aren't NLP, they are what was learned from the NLP modelling process.

All the best 

Dan 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

Go to solution

For me, the true core of NLP is about modelling. Modelling language, modelling patterns and modelling excellence.

This is where it all started in the book The Structure of Magic (Vol I & II)

Go to solution

Wow Graham that's fantastic you could go through Structure of Magic 1 &2 in one go!!!! It took me atleast 3-4 times to read to understand .

Modelling is my personal favorite!!

What about New Code NLP - Have you tried ??

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

For me I would agree with @GrahamNicholls that NLP is about modelling. When I hear people say that this politician is using NLP and that business is using NLP and then I read what they are referring to they always seem to refer to things like certain ways of communicating hypnotically and are calling this NLP when it isn't.

It could be that they used NLP to model influential speakers etc but this is rarely what is said. If I learned to play basketball using NLP to model a successful basketball player of about my height I would be playing basketball but will have used NLP to look at all aspects that the player I wanted to model had, from what they did and do to be in appropriate physical shape, to how they physically perform things, to what emotions they have at different times and what they focus on and what types of thoughts they have and how those thoughts are represented in their mind, and what awareness they have at various times and how they decide what to do during the game etc. .. Doing all of this modelling would be doing NLP, playing basketball in the style of that player based on my modelling would be playing basketball. It is interesting that people wouldn't watch me slam dunk a ball and say "that is NLP" but people will watch a politician using spatial anchoring and will say "that is NLP" when actually both maybe the result of NLP approach to modelling, but neither is NLP itself.

So for me when asked "what is NLP?" I say it is an approach to modelling how someone does what they do so that others can know what they need to know to be able to learn to do the same." It isn't about influence and manipulation etc. There are techniques which can come from this modelling, like the fast phobia cure which could be described as coming from NLP, but things like the meta model and Milton model etc aren't NLP, they are what was learned from the NLP modelling process.

All the best 

Dan 

Go to solution

That's right ! Modelling is very much appreciated, and it goes synonymous with NLP. NLP is more about engaging all parts of the self to get optimal results. It could begin with the simplest form of say the way you match the other persons model of the world through words similar to theirs in the form of V-A-K-O-G or the way in which you match the other persons body language and make them feel comfortable and more open to you or how you use some of the breathing patterns in NLP to create a peak performance in a child getting ready to ace exams or an athlete. It is simply wonderful to watch people transform by the end of the sessions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors