One Hundred Little Victories

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

One Hundred Little Victories

Each day I try to have 100 little victories. Many mornings, getting out of bed is a major milestone. Brushing my teeth and getting ready for the day earns me an additional check mark on the todo list.

Aside: You think I’m kidding, but I’m not. I love to check things off my todo list, so my list is detailed! Isn’t yours?

The following are two techniques I use to get things done!

1. Lists

They’re everywhere! Some are recent and some are old. They’re all over my computer. I’ve thrown away most of the notepads and stickys on my desk and monitor. Still, this is the way I like to schedule my day, week, month and year. I find that some schedules fall out of fashion depending upon what I’m focusing on while others grow in popularity. Fortunately, lists seem to grow and die at about the same rate. I believe that rate would be called an attention span ;-).

Use lists to:

o Get it out of your brain so that you can think rather than remember
o Play what-if, prioritize and schedule your tasks

o Receiving a motivation boost from checking things off your list(s)

Being a writer who outlines, of course I use lists to schedule my day!

2. Swiss Cheese the Problem

No goal is too large to achieve. Simply divide the goal into small problems to be solved individually (and usually in a specific order). Swiss Cheese the problem! Then, work toward taking the first step toward resolving the first problem on your list.

Remember: If the problem is too big, Swiss Cheese (punch holes in) it!

I hope this helps and I’ll see you in the classroom,

—Brian

4 Replies

Thanks for the reminder to check my to-do list (and create one for the week)! Do you prefer physical to-do lists (written with pen & paper) or digital ones?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JocelynH

Digital.  I write so little that I've almost forgotten how.  It's embarrassing when I have to write a check ;-).

---Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JocelynH, I also really love Trello!  ---Brian

Trello's great! I've just started using a physical planner again, alongside Google Calendar. It does feel really nice to tick something off with pen & paper, but digital is a lot easier to manage and move things around.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors