Reached the 2 Comma Club, 1 Million in Lifetime Earnings on Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reached the 2 Comma Club, 1 Million in Lifetime Earnings on Udemy

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.40.49 AM.png

I achieved an amazing milestone on Udemy this week. 

I launched my first course on Udemy in January 2016.  That month I did about $750 in sales. 

Since then I've launched 16 additional courses. A lot of nights, weekends, and holidays have gone into course creation. Today, I'll see single days greater than my first month.

It's been a journey. The quality of my first course was awful. I recorded dreey lectures against a grey backdrop. And used a Blue Yeti that picked up EVERYTHING. You could hear planes flying overhead, my dog crying... Yeah, it was that awful! LOL

But I've learned a lot along the way. The organization and quality of my recent courses has significantly improved. Each course I created, I reflected on what I could do to improve. Some came from student feedback. Some came from learning from other successful instructors. The important part is to always be learning and improving. 

I know when I was starting out, this level of success seemed unattainable. I hope newer instructors find inspiration from this post. There is no easy button. It takes work and time. Every lecture you create, grows your content. Every day that passes, more students will find you. Until someday, you look back and say wow!

To steal a slogan from the folks at ConvertKit - "Create Everyday!"

33 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yessss, that's what we like to see! 😁

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Congratulations, @JohnThompson! I liked that you mentioned: ''A lot of nights, weekends, and holidays have gone into course creation. Today, I'll see single days greater than my first month.'' That is proof that hard work really pays off. 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Wishing you continued success! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

@JohnThompson Wow. Thank you so much for sharing. I have only just begun my journey (last august) and am really motivated to read such success stories and also to learn from seasoned experts like yourself. If any one has any more tips pleeeeeeeease let me know! 😃

I am releasing my first course in 4 weeks and appreciate that I wont join the two comma club immediately afterwards 😆

But you're taking that first step! Good luck with the launch! 

Thanks John. If nothing else it's my first real step forwards 🤞🏼

Thanks for sharing, congratulation 

🎉 Congrats John!  That's aWeSoMe!

What were the biggest lessons you learned along the way that might be helpful

for a newcomer to Udemy like myself and others?

What would you do differently in the early stages looking back from where you are now?

All the best,

Rodney

I would have hired help sooner. I have an assistant, a video editor, and couple of teacher assistants for helping with student questions. Helps me stay focused on content creation. 

John,

You said,

"I have an assistant, a video editor, and couple of teacher assistants for helping with student questions"

Wonderful suggestion.  Not to be afraid at the early stage to get

1. An assistant

2. Video editor

3. Assistant to answer students questions

4. Focus on creating & editing contents

I appreciate you.

🎉 Congrats @JohnThompson!  That's aWeSoMe!

What were the biggest lessons you learned along the way that might be helpful

for a newcomer to Udemy like myself and others?

What would you do differently in the early stages looking back from where you are now?

All the best,

Rodney

Congrats

Amazing well done

Wow. $1M in 6 years is no laughing matter. I am happy for you and this is very inspiring. 

Congrats!

This is a great inspiration, congratulations.

Hi @JohnThompson, congratulations.

Thank you so much for sharing your story; it is undoubtedly a source of inspiration for all of us instructors.
I wish you even more success.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Congratulations @JohnThompson Very well deserved and inspiring! 🙂 Well done!

Thanks!

DiogoAlvesd487
Community Champion

Congrats!

Congratulations and hope to join your club soon 😇

The best part is about how getting supported by students, I hope I can publish my 1st course 

AtilSamancioglu
Community Champion

Congratulations John, great achievement!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors