Refund is a really burden of instructor? Yes ? or No?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund is a really burden of instructor? Yes ? or No?

Go to solution

Dear Sirs, and my Friends of Instructors here. 

Fiirstly, Apologize me so much that I make a statemrnt above, maybe I am wrong : for I am as a new member here with 2 months of publisher with one course. only. 

I have read about 300 articles concerning refund in which it is rather tendention of a burden of Instructor. It describes abuse refund policy, students are " Naughty ", stealing of material of the course and relatively easy to draw the money for refund without information to the Instructor system. 

I am expecting 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

There is no way to know why a student asks for a refund. They do not need to leave a review or send you a message. I see that you have one course that has only four reviews. This is not enough data to be meaningful. 

You need to study other courses by leading instructors and compare them to your own. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Go to solution

Continued that There will be a kind of editing policy, so the 30 days refund policy more fair or in another word that it makes encouraging of spirit of Instructor. 

For example for Nov 2021 revenue about 37 USD & Refund is 27 USD, SO the gross revenue is 10 USD before tax. My question is that 27 USD is a burden iof refund and thec cost of refund is in charged to the Instructor ONLY? Be apologize me about my question

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

The truth is that I pay absolutely no attention to refunds until someone brings the subject up in this forum. For the past seven years, my refunds average between 1 and 1.5% of my monthly revenue. I assume that the marketing value of the refund policy for students far outweighs the cost. If your refund rate is much higher I would question whether or not there is a quality problem in your courses that is causing students to want their money back. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Dear Mr. LawrenceMMiller, 

Thank so much yr feedback, I appreciate it refer to a high refund means a quality of the course.

The quality of the course is the main problem, I would like to know in which menu of the Udemy web or dashboard of Instructor I am going to know the reasons of students who do the refund? So I can make a repair quality of the course based on the refund reasons of those students doing a refund process. 

This happened at this era moment 2021 , do have other Instructors find an experience like me? Is still about 1 percent or how much percentage is standard of good enough? 

Do you have an experience & how the way to know the reasons of students who do a refund!! Thank for yr guide of refund about and how to overcome in it ? 

Apologize me, please share the knowledge also about How to overcome. 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

There is no way to know why a student asks for a refund. They do not need to leave a review or send you a message. I see that you have one course that has only four reviews. This is not enough data to be meaningful. 

You need to study other courses by leading instructors and compare them to your own. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Dear LawrenceMMiller, 

It is my great appreciate to yr a great guide to be a better course, I think, thank so much for the clue given to me, my best regard as a new instructor with a little experience to teach online, once again, thank a sharp solution for me based on my refund about. 

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

IF refunds are 1-2% you are fine, not an issue.

IF they are higher, you may have some issues you need to fix on your courses. 

Will some students abuse the refund policy? Yes. 
Is it a problem, No.

Having the policy drives far more sales than it costs you in refunds, it makes students feel safe buying a course they were on the fence about. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

Does that 1-2% figure include UFB revenue? If you factor out UFB (where refunds don't happen) what are you seeing?

For me it's more like 5% if I exclude UFB, but it's spread out pretty evenly among my courses, so I don't think it's indicative of some specific course issue(s). 

That's pretty substantial and there's probably still a lot of money on the table for Udemy to curb refund abuse further.

Go to solution

Refund policy is an one of the KPI for guanine students. It is not a problem. Yes, we will always find someone abusing these options. This is general problem in online platform. We should ignore them and move on.

Go to solution

I think the refund days should be of 15-20 days instead of 30 days

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors