Sharing this Milestone and what I learned along the way!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing this Milestone and what I learned along the way!

Go to solution

847C8435-3A30-4E84-A7AA-8E0CF31254AF.jpeg

Super excited to have finally reached this one. 100,000 in sales on Udemy and here is some of what I learned on the way. ( Thos took 3 years by the way! )

1. Consistent output is key. Either updating existing courses or making new courses. ( I have 12 courses now. )

2. Appreciate bad reviews. What!? Yep, I said it. Those are the ones that will lead you to better course creation if you listen! ( of course I mean the constructive ones. )

3. Learn to promote your content. Don’t wait for Udemy to do all the work. You can notice that over time I got better at selling my own courses. I started to get less organic sales so I began to share more videos on YouTube, engage with my audience on social media, and create more blog posts. I now bring in 30% of my own sales.

4. Build your audience off Udemy! The real power is in your following and they love interacting with their favorite instructor so give them ways to do that. For me it is pretty easy since I teach art. I comment on their art and give any insights I can. Create helpful free content for your target student as well as a clear line of sight to your course content.

5. Help as many people succeed as you can. Do this and you will find success along the way!

6. Don’t wait for perfection!  It isn’t even a real thing in my world.  I am an imperfect being and I share that in my content.  Besides, I would never get anything done if I thought otherwise.

I hope this helps and I am here if you have any questions! 🙂

-Robert

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

How do you promote your courses?

View solution in original post

Go to solution

I would say consistent output is the key.  For a few reasons really.  If you are consistently making new content you are consistently getting better at creating your content.  ( You should always focus on creating better quality content of course. )  If you are consistently creating new content your audience is going to stick around longer and ultimately it will generate more sales for you.  Being consistent also helps us to not become lazy.  It is easy to see the money rolling in and start taking larger and larger breaks.  Don't do it.  This isn't a passive income.  Stay diligent and stay consistent!

Good luck to you!

-Robert  

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Go to solution

How do you promote your courses?

Go to solution

My best promotions come from my Youtube channel.   I share a video or two from my course content and link to my coupon code.  I also get some sales from social media and from blog posts that I create.  

The main thing is to create something helpful for your target student. ( Not Promotional ) Then link to your course at the end of the free content, such as blog posts. ( On Youtube it needs to be the very first link to have better conversions. )  If you spend enough time creating helpful content in your niche the students will begin following you and start to buy your course content.  This has been my experience anyways.

I hope that helps and good luck with your promotions!

-Robert 

Go to solution

I completely agree with you Robert and I am just waiting for my course to be published, however as a life and eft coach and a Reiki Master I have learned that those who give you constructive criticisms help our growth like nothing else. Like you I love helping others and seeing them succeed is one of the greatest satisfactions a teacher can experience and yes, perfection doesn’t exist and it’s only our mini me inside that comes out and tries to protect us from disappointment when we feel that way so just gently talk to that part of yourselves and let it vent but like a parent, with love and patience, and then it will calm down and You will gain a breakthrough! Having a community like this helps a lot and I appreciate all the sharing you guys do from your direct experiences. Bravo for reaching this milestone! 
@Robert_Marzullo wrote:

847C8435-3A30-4E84-A7AA-8E0CF31254AF.jpeg

Super excited to have finally reached this one. 100,000 in sales on Udemy and here is some of what I learned on the way. ( Thos took 3 years by the way! )

1. Consistent output is key. Either updating existing courses or making new courses. ( I have 12 courses now. )

2. Appreciate bad reviews. What!? Yep, I said it. Those are the ones that will lead you to better course creation if you listen! ( of course I mean the constructive ones. )

3. Learn to promote your content. Don’t wait for Udemy to do all the work. You can notice that over time I got better at selling my own courses. I started to get less organic sales so I began to share more videos on YouTube, engage with my audience on social media, and create more blog posts. I now bring in 30% of my own sales.

4. Build your audience off Udemy! The real power is in your following and they love interacting with their favorite instructor so give them ways to do that. For me it is pretty easy since I teach art. I comment on their art and give any insights I can. Create helpful free content for your target student as well as a clear line of sight to your course content.

5. Help as many people succeed as you can. Do this and you will find success along the way!

6. Don’t wait for perfection!  It isn’t even a real thing in my world.  I am an imperfect being and I share that in my content.  Besides, I would never get anything done if I thought otherwise.

I hope this helps and I am here if you have any questions! 🙂

-Robert

Go to solution

👍

Go to solution

Thank you very much Francesca!  You make some excellent points as well. Thank you for sharing! 🙂

GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Great advices, thank you for sharing. I love #5: Help as many people succeed as you can. Do this and you will find success along the way!

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

Congratulation!!!...Robert

Go to solution

I love your point #6. That speaks to me, as I am a perfectionist, which sometimes affects me negatively in terms of productivity.

Go to solution

I know it can hold a lot of us back at times.  Good luck with your progress!

Go to solution

Congrats,Rob and well deserved. All valid points from your experience I see you use over and over again. Great job and keep inspiring the rest of us...😎

Go to solution
Happy to do so! 😉

Go to solution

Congratulations on reaching this amazing milestone Robert! Love the share. 

I really like your mindset. I am new to all this and there is a lot for me to learn so its really inspiring for me to see what you and others have achieved as it gives me the assurance that this is also possible for me. In you opinion, what is the one thing new instructors, like myself, really need to focus on that will yield them the most success?

Appreciate you

Tallal

Go to solution

I would say consistent output is the key.  For a few reasons really.  If you are consistently making new content you are consistently getting better at creating your content.  ( You should always focus on creating better quality content of course. )  If you are consistently creating new content your audience is going to stick around longer and ultimately it will generate more sales for you.  Being consistent also helps us to not become lazy.  It is easy to see the money rolling in and start taking larger and larger breaks.  Don't do it.  This isn't a passive income.  Stay diligent and stay consistent!

Good luck to you!

-Robert  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

So inspiring. Particularly 3 and 4. Wishing you the best!

GrahamNicholls
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

HUGE Congratulations @Robert_Marzullo 

That is an awesome milestone to reach!

Thank you for sharing your tips aswell, there are some great pointers in there and I have to say that number 5 stands out......... this is why you succeed, in my humble opinion of course 🙂

Wishing you continued success!

Go to solution

This is so awesome, bro. Love seeing your milestones. You're really inspiring me. Keep cranking them out! But know... I'm comin' for ya  😉

Go to solution

Are these sales total revenue or your share after Udemy has taken their slice?

Go to solution

This is after Udemy has taken their share.

Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to share this Robert.

Best of luck in the future.

Liam

Go to solution

Thank you and you as well!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors