Udemy Continuous Improvement

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Udemy Continuous Improvement

Continuous improvement often depends on input from those doing the work. I remarked to @Bella that in my 1.5 years on Udemy that I had not seen an idea presented to the community then referred to some committee or other within Udemy return as an action item. I'm assuming that Community ideas are referred to Udemy committees to die. I'd like to be wrong. Has anyone seen ideas presented to the Community stimulate actual change? That would be great to hear.

Robert Brown, Ph.D.
Unique insights for personal & business success
3 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RobertBrown028, I completely understand your concern here -- instructors see the community as more than just a place to connect with each other, but also a place where they can share their voice and be heard by our team at Udemy, and we want to give you this space and the opportunity to give your opinions. We have a feedback process in place to ensure your ideas are categorized and documented for internal review by the appropriate teams at Udemy.

Some of the ideas that have started in the community and are now existing features on Udemy are the bulk coupon creation and coupon scheduling tools. Currently, @LawrenceMMiller 's request for year-over-year stats is also being looked at as a result of the community.

Additionally, we have many other features that were suggested by other instructors currently in the works - some of them are:

• Improving auto-captions quality
  • Improving educational announcements/promotional emails editor
  • Reporting for quizzes, assessments, practice tests, and coding exercises

Others are being considered, such as:

• Ability to provide courses in bundles
  • New payout methods for international instructors

We would honestly love to work on everything that is brought to us, and are passionate about bringing the best Udemy to you all! But all the feedback we receive has to be considered within the context of our long-term product roadmap and engineering resources.

All we can ask is for instructors to keep asking and advocating for the features they'd like to see, as this helps us to make a case to bump up the prioritization of the request.

Thanks for your willingness to continually share your thoughts and feedback with us. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

I agree that there are many improvements that Udemy can undertake.

1.  As you mentioned, one is to provide bundles. I have 4 modules of an  LLQP exam in 4 courses and 2 parts of the CSC in separate courses. Why can't I bundle them?

2. Second, there should be sections on an instructor courses page. I have 22 courses in 4 different topics. So that division will help.

3. Also, why does Udemy only give 37% of the revenue when it sells on their platform? That is a majority chunk. It is not a fair split. I did all the effort to make slides, record, and publish the course. You are only marketing and take 63% of the price?

4. Udemy slashes my courses by 70% to 80% price. My 8 hours courses listed for $99 are discounted to $19.99. I only get around $5/course sale. This is unfair. Students never buy the full-price course, they just wait for the sales. I can't control the pricing.

5. The lowest price is $27.99, I can't set it lower but Udemy can sell it for lower, why? 

I have 22 courses on Udemy, 32,000 enrollments, and have made around $7500. I appreciate your platform but I feel that Udemy needs to improve a lot.

Thanks for your response @Bella. Good to know. I will always have questions. Why didn't I know the things you listed? Why isn't Udemy reporting back in highly  visible ways? Providing progress reports? Asking for more details of ideas? Feedback is critically important to communication, but especially so with improvement efforts. If you truly want input, let us in on the output process. You have a ton of available talent in the instructor corps that isn't being accessed. Your response is a good example of what works, and you earned yet another like! 

Robert Brown, Ph.D.
Unique insights for personal & business success
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.