What makes one eligible to buy Udemy courses in Turkey?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes one eligible to buy Udemy courses in Turkey?

My friend lived in Turkey for a year, has a Turkish bank card in her name and registered an Udemy account while staying there. She has a yearlong rental agreement in her name to prove it (noone asked). However, throughout her stay in Turkey she was never able to buy a single course on Udemy (she only tried buying on sale): her card kept being declined, Udemy support told her to check with the bank, bank support told her to try a card issued by another bank, which none of her friends had (because everyone followed my misguided advice and chose DenizBank).

Now, when living in another country and still learning Turkish, she decided she had a moral right to finally buy some Turkish courses on a Turkish account for Turkish prices. She asked a friend in Turkey to create a new account with Udemy (in hopes that maybe the old one was silently flagged somehow from repeated failed attempts and the new one will work better) and buy her several courses with his new, never used on Udemy, bank card (because, again, maybe the friends' cards she tried to use before were all somehow silently flagged as fraudulent by Udemy). The newly created account was instantly 'temporarily suspended'. When she tried to reach policy@udemy.com, as instructed, she was told:

We have detected abuse of our platform from this account in violation of our Terms of Use.

As a result of this activity, the account or accounts in question have been permanently disabled.

Please note that banned users may not create or use any other Udemy accounts.

Further inquiries as to which exact clause of Terms of Use did she in fact violate, went unanswered.

That leaves us with a title question: What makes one eligible to buy Udemy courses in Turkey?

What course of action would Udemy instructors recommend?
I'm sorry if bringing this question here seems inappropriate, but, next to Udemy support (which is silent) I couldn't think of another place to ask.

2 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @stupicorn We are sorry to hear your friend is experiencing issues with their Udemy account there are no restrictions for Turkey students. Since this is a specific issue related to your friend's account, I understand you want to get a response; however, we cannot investigate or provide support for specific account issues. If your friend is facing account-related problems on Udemy, I recommend reaching out to Udemy's customer support directly. They should be able to provide assistance and address any concerns related to account access or purchasing courses. Remember to provide them with as much relevant information as possible to help expedite the resolution process.

Eliana

Udemy Community Moderator

At least your friend, by paying more, is supporting Udemy instructors. That does have some value. Indeed the only person that can help is Udemy support.

Good luck!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.