Work Hard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Hard

Work Hard and don't let your dream just go, work hard and harder to archive.Robot Happy

2 Replies

Hi @Derrickselu136 - Generally that's good advice. Hard work usually pays off in the long-run. However, Udemy is a bit different. You've got to combine some hard work with being smart. Frankly, I think being smart is more important than hard work. When I say being smart, I mean:

1. Don't create a course when there are already 100 other courses teaching the same thing. No matter how hard you work on your course, it's going to be very difficult to compete against all the other courses.
  2. Don't price your course at a high level. Udemy students are accustomed to paying between $10-$15 for a course, on sale. It's rather unusual for a student to pay much more than that because they know they can just wait for the next sale. 90% of my sales come when Udemy is running a sale or promotion.
  3. Don't expect to get rich on Udemy. The average instructor earns $4 for each sale of his/her course. If you want to make $100 per month (which really isn't much at all), you will need to make roughly 25 sales. This can be pretty difficult to do, especially early on. 
  4. Don't spend too much time making your course perfect. You simply don't earn enough to recover the cost of your time. You will be much better off spending that time creating additional courses. No matter how hard you try to make your course the best it can be, you will have students give you a 1 star rating. This is just the way it works here.
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@RandyMinder Respectfully, I need to disagree with a couple of your points above.

2. On pricing: This is something that Udemy marketing has researched. Let's assume that the price of your course when on sale is $12.99, a typical sale price. If you have put a list price on your course of $19.99 it will not sell as well as if it is priced at $99.99, for example. What matters is net sales and revenue. If you price your course low, your net sales will be lower than if you price your course to reflect its value.

4. You create your personal brand value on Udemy. I would argue strongly that you should take as much time as required, six months if necessary (I did that several times), to create the highest value course possible. Students buy value which is indicated by your ratings X the length of the course X the quality of preview videos. Once you have created the best possible course it will sell and you will create your own "fans" or followers who will buy your next course. Do not sacrifice quality. 

JMHO.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors