Wouldn't it be wonderful if share holders had benefits within Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wouldn't it be wonderful if share holders had benefits within Udemy

All of you who diligently follow my YouTube channel (in German) will have seen that I have featured some companies with unusual dividends, non-cash dividends, and shareholder benefits. Since I am not a shareholder in most of the companies with these non-cash dividends or shareholder benefits, I thought it would be nice to start a discussion here on the platform to think about shareholder benefits on Udemy. Of course, this is primarily to be able to form a better opinion.
There are always arguments for shareholder benefits as well as against them.
I would be really interested to hear what the community thinks.

4 Replies
JasonDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Martin,

Interesting idea. I know one of the unusual benefits I saw last year was from AMC when they "Apes" were buying it up. The CEO of AMC offered any stockholders free popcorn if they went to the AMC movie theaters. Interesting idea!

I am not sure if Udemy would do something similar (maybe, get 5 free courses per year or a free subscription to UB), but I think it would be difficult to execute and manage such a program.

I personally bought Udemy stock because I believe in their business model and future growth, and I don't think the unusual dividend or gifts would have made a difference in my buying decision one way or another.

Thanks!
Jason Dion

Dion Training Solutions

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

I don't know how this would work. People buy and sell stocks on daily basis. How long would you have to hold a stock to get the benefits? How much stock? One share, a thousand shares? I think it is a nice idea but it would be almost impossible to administer. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

With other companies, dividends like this also work - as with any dividend, a certain number of shares must be held on X day, and this can be read out quite easily via a register.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

If you are a shareholder, and Udemy declares a profit, you will receive dividends like every other shareholder. So, what are you proposing that is different? Also, understand that under U.S. tax law, if you issue a dividend it is necessarily after tax paid on profit; and dividends must paid equally to all shareholders. Language is important in this case. "Profit" and "dividends" are legal terms that have significant consequences and regulation.

I do not see Udemy declaring profit or issuing dividends for several years. I want them to re-invest all gross margin back into the expansion of the business which means greater sales for us instructors. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors