Group discussions or ways to communicate.

I am getting close to launching my first course, which will be in the area of electronic music production.

I am wondering - if students have questions, will there be anywhere they can ask them publicly (as long as they are registered students)?

I was hoping to encourage discussions, questions - and even requests for me to add more videos, or clarifying videos etc….

Will we have anything available to us like that?

Thanks all

Comments

• MarinaT
    MarinaT Posts: 1,899 Udemy rank

Hi @Codabass,

Thank you so much for your post, and how exciting that you're planning to publish a course on Udemy!

When students take online courses, it's quite common for questions to arise. To address this, Udemy offers two options that allow students to reach out to instructors and ask any questions they may have:

• Private messages (if enabled by the instructor).
    • Q&A feature, where questions and answers are visible to all students enrolled in the course.

Within the Q&A feature, you have the option to create "featured questions" and encourage your students to leave a reply. As for “group discussions”, while we don’t yet have a dedicated space for this on Udemy, we’ve received similar feedback from other instructors and have passed it on to our internal team. Many instructors have successfully created external groups on platforms like Facebook and Discord.

Below, I’ve linked discussions that might be helpful:

Do you run a group for your students?
    5 Tips for building a FB community group
    Facebook Group or Website?

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or need support along the way, please don't hesitate to reach out. We have many great resources and support available here in the community!

• I'm wondering the same. For some reason I thought Udemy already had this feature and have been setting up my course as if that's an option…

• Thank you so much, Mariana; that is awesome… I think the Q&A feature would work for now, and if students really need it, I guess I can create something external..

And Just to add - I would run anything external that I create by Udemy to ensure I am keeping everyone's privacy needs addressed.

Thanks all!