How to Harness Your Unique Learning Style for Maximum Retention

alexcarey
alexcarey Posts: 7 observer rank
edited September 25 in Introductions

I’m eager to explore strategies tailored to different learning styles! What techniques or resources do you recommend for someone who learns best through hands-on experiences? Any specific courses that cater to this approach?

compass mobile dollar

Answers

• Hi Alex,

there's actually been a lot of debate in the Learning & Development community over the years about learning styles. The consensus these days tends to be that they're a myth… Or at least that it doesn't make sense to design for a specific learning style, because practically everyone learns through multiple "learning styles" : visuals play a tremendous role for everyone (unless you're physically blind), hands-on activities also always resonates with learners, because there's a lot more learning happening when learners get directly engaged and "do" things vs just "listening"… So it's not so much about "designing for a specific learning style", it's more about "embedding multiple learning modes" that will engage the learners in different ways. That being said, I think your idea of looking specifically at hands-on experience is great, because visuals are over-represented in most courses, and learners not involved enough.

It's challenging to embed hands-on learning in an online course (it's simpler to make didactic videos, and easier to do hands-on in person), but not impossible. I've actually tried to do it in my course "Creating Learning Content with Gen AI: A Hands-on Experience" (link below) and I'm very curious to find out if it actually works for my learners. Let me know if you'd like to try it out, I'm happy to send you a free coupon and hear your thoughts.

https://www.udemy.com/course/creating-learning-content-with-gen-ai-a-hands-on-experience/?referralCode=812AAA53712AE87DB50B

Eric

PS: you can find a lot of articles on this by googling "learning styles myth", here's one that -I find- explains it well (and seems backed by research):

https://onlineteaching.umich.edu/articles/the-myth-of-learning-styles/