Downloadable resources

A student wrote: "I will be traveling for several weeks and I would like to continue the course, but the download option is grayed out. Is there a way to download the videos for offline use?"

I don't like offering downloadable resources because of piracy issues. Does the Udemy app allow downloading locally? Any suggestions? I could offer some content privately on youtube.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Leonor C.
    Leonor C. Posts: 1,125 Udemy rank

Hello @RonErez

Happy to help! If instructors do not offer donwloadable courses all students are allowed to download full courses through the apps only. Here are the 2 articles (IOS and Android options) you can share with your student:

Please do not hesitate contacting us if you have any more questions.

Kindest regards,

Leonor

Udemy moderation team

• LawrenceMMiller
    LawrenceMMiller Posts: 2,257 rolemodel rank

@Leonor C. Is this statement correct? "If instructors do not offer donwloadable courses all students are allowed to download full courses through the apps only."

It doesn't make sense. My understanding is that it is up to the instructor to allow downloading or not. This statement implies that our courses may be downloaded whether we chose that option or not. If this statement is correct than we instructors have no control over the copying and distribution of intellectual property.

• Bessy
    Bessy Posts: 877 Udemy rank
    edited 3:20AM

Hi @LawrenceMMiller and @RonErez

What Leoner was referring to was the offline viewing feature, which is a feature that many platforms offer within their apps. Users can temporarily store course content for viewing without an internet connection, but it’s usually only accessible within the app itself.

The files aren’t saved as standalone files on their devices.

I hope this helps clarify, and I apologize for any confusion.

Best regards,