$250,000 and counting...

Comments

• Jesmion
    Jesmion Posts: 102 traveler rank
    Congratulations! Your steadfast to achieving the correct aims is admired
  • My hearty congratulations to you Rahul!

This is exactly the kind of motivational write-up that I need to not despair with my current low monthly income since August 2021 that I have been on Udemy. I was already having the feeling that I probably joined Udemy rather late in the day when there are a plethora of courses available on the platform covering practically every topic one can think of.

I am seriously hoping that I have a similar success journey like yours within the next few months or so.

• Thanks for sharing @Rahul Iyer
    and congrats on your achievements. You are proof (again) that dedication, persistence, and long term thinking are key for success on Udemy (and many other areas of life).

Keep on doing your great work!

• Jesmion
    Congratulations! Thanks for your moral sensitivity!
  • Hi @SatV7

Thank you for your kind words. Nice to meet you.

I took a few moments to go through your course promo video. Below are my observations:

1. Video quality and sound quality is good.
    2. You are keeping the audience engaged by having different visuals.
    3. And you have explained your background and what's in the course well.

If this is the format you have used throughout the course, I am sure it will do well.

What do we need next?

All we need now is more reviews, regular presence in the Q&A Discussion, and if possible marketing course coupons on various social media platforms and coupon websites.

What to expect?

You may possibly be in a highly competitive niche. But spending two years to make the course indicates that you have taken enough care to have the right content in it. As time passes the course should do well. I would not recommend to keep extremely high hopes of huge revenue initially. As it takes time and effort to build your audience from scratch. On the contrary, if you already have a huge following on any social media site, you are bound to do well. If not, no worries. You will do well eventually. Just stay put. And congratulations to have launched your first course. It is in itself an amazing milestone.

Wish you good luck and all the success

• Hi @AyoolaPonle

Nice to meet you and thank you for your kind words.

You are probably at the right time and in the right situation. I took the liberty to go through your courses. I see that your niche has potential like every other niche. Just that, the courses need some finesse. It needs what's in it for me quotient (from an audience perspective). If I may humbly recommend you to take a few Udemy official and unofficial courses on how to be an excellent Udemy instructor. This will help you learn the key requirements and will further strengthen your ability to produce exciting content that will start selling at a good pace.

I hope this helps

• Nice to meet you @AxelRittershaus
    and thank you for your kind words. You have an excellent instructor profile and some really good content. Wish you all the best and success.

• Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the feedback and recommendation.

I will surely work on your suggestion for better content.

• SatV7
    SatV7 Posts: 19 traveler rank

Hi Rahul!

Thanks so much for looking at my course and all the great advice So nice of you to take all that time. I guess we do like to teach each other on this platform My course doesn't have a lot of competition. There's only like 2 other courses that even try to teach A.I. in simple terms and nothing is product management or UX oriented intersecting ML (course on these topics in isolation yes, but not the intersection) on Udemy. Also, I work in these fields or have, and with these professionals, and have presented the course as a workshop. I found high demand from product people (UX, Product Managers, Researchers, Business Execs, Sales Engineers) to learn ML concepts and they loved my course.

So I already know the demand is there and has been validated (I work in tech). It is a little difficult though that Udemy buries my course under all the technical A.I. courses though, bc it's a course for non-technical people. It doesn't really show up under the correct search terms easily, even though I tried to optimize it for the right words, "Machine Learning, Product Management, UX Designer."

If I look at my analytics, students don't see the course, it's not like they see it and they don't want it, they don't find the page, they don't know it exists and never even visited it! Nobody can find my course, is my main problem to solve now.

I thought Udemy would take care of my marketing for me, but I see it doesn't quite work that way. I think I'll have to post it to lots of sites and make a website and advertise that on Facebook / Google to try to drive traffic myself. Then maybe once I get more users (Free and Paid with reviews), it will show up more in the search and Udemy will "kick-in" and get me more users? Is that basically how it works out?

Thanks again for your advice, I'm looking for all the tips I can get

• Congratulations Rahul,

Your story is hugely inspiring. I started on Udemy in May 2021. My first 3 month earnings have been like this. Until I read your story, I thought this was a poor start.

May 2021: $ 151

June 2021: $ 323

July 2021: $ 162

• Jesmion
    Thanks for your encouragement
  • You are the best!

• Jesmion
    THANK
  • Thanks for sharing your new income. I am sure you will do greater and greater. I am new in here and still creating more first course and it's been so exiting already. Now ready to set up my studio so I can begin to film 🥰

Good luck to You

• l like your determination and consistency, congratulations.

• Jesmion
    That's great!
  • Very inspiring! Thx for sharing and Congratulations!

• Wonderful journey! Thanks for sharing this.

I see from your report that "Your Promotions" played a big role in this success. Any tips on how we can do so as well?

• Thank you @EricYeboah294
    ! Nice to meet you

• Thank you @Houda Thackeray Zahid
    ! Nice to meet you

• Most welcome @DigitalDash
    ! Nice to meet you here.

Great question. My promotions mainly include two aspects:

1) Udemy Promo Announcements

2) My personal email list

1) Udemy Promo Announcements:

Most of us start on Udemy with little or no audience. At this stage our promo announcements may not be that effective. However, as you keep growing on Udemy, your paid student base increases. And after a particular period, your promo announcements start doing really well. I have about 70,000+ unique and paid students. So, I make a point to send both the Promo Announcements in any given month. A huge base helps in getting higher number of clicks and many of those clicks turn into paid customers. That is the first reason you see the Self Promotions field has higher revenue. Main reasons: Larger paid student base and usage of two promo announcements per month.

2) My personal email list

I have added a few lead magnets on my website. This allows me to build my email list. When I create coupon codes, I make sure I send out those to my email list. The sales revenue from my personal email list is not as good as the Udemy Promo Announcements. But something is better than nothing. And it is all about sending two emails to your email list per month. So, it is well worth the time spent.

Hope this helps

• Great story. Very motivating as a first-time professor.

Omar J. Castillo

Professor

• Thanks for the detailed explanation of your promotions. I think this is an area where all new instructors struggle, especially early on. Thanks again.

• @Rahul Iyer
    - I saw that you also have a free course. I wanted to know your opinion as to whether that helps students register for your other courses. I am thinking of creating a free course (1hr) and see if I get more registrations for my PAID courses. Not sure if that is worth it.

• I fully agree @StanVangild204

I had the same questions during my early years

• Thanks @OmarJ.Castillo
    Nice to meet you. I wish you all the success on this platform

• Hi @VirajShetty265

Great question. I have 1 prominent free course on Udemy. There may be others that I do not recollect and do not track either. I launched this specific free course way back in 2017.

Below are some numbers:

1. The objective to launch a free course was to get higher number of students with the expectation that these students will convert to paid. Between 2017 and early 2020 or 21, I used to get about 20-50 enrollments daily on this free course.
    2. During that period, Udemy had a check box filter of Free courses. So, students could access Free courses easily.
    3. Cut to today, this Free Course Checkbox filter is removed as Udemy focuses on Paid courses more than free courses. Now I get more paid per day sales compared to Free course sales. Which is technically a good thing.

Here are my observations:

1. I cannot confidently say whether it was a good strategy or a bad one to release the Free Course. This is because we do not have any data to prove.
    2. However, I have this uncanny habit of looking up a student's profile by clicking his/her name in the Student's tab of your course. When you click on the name of the student, you can see what courses he/she has purchased.
    3. Free Students: Whenever I clicked on the name of students belonging to Free courses, I could see that these students have enrolled only in Free courses. There are hardly any (and most likely none) paid courses.
    4. Paid Students: When I clicked on the name of paid students, I could see there are hardly any Free courses in their profile.

So - this small sampling does indicate the creating free courses may not be a good idea. A free student will not pay for the course. A paid student will always prefer paying for the course.

Do I regret my decision of creating a Free Course?

Not at all. Why? This is because my Free Course got selected in the UfB catalog (possibly due to its high consistent ratings). And even though it is a free course in the marketplace, it earns money when a UfB customer takes this course. This free course has been able to earn about $3,000 after being on UfB until today and continues to earn money each month.

Conclusion: If I was asked whether I would create a free course, I wouldn't do so. Primarily because now a student does not have the ability to filter out free courses and the number of enrollments will be way lesser. I would use this time to create a higher quality paid course that have a good potential to get selected in the UfB catalog.

Hope this helps

• @Rahul Iyer
    - Thanks for that comprehensive insight. Highly appreciated. This gives me a better understanding of free courses.

• Thank you for sharing your experience. Really motivating me.

• Thank you @Nagasrinivas6805
    .. Nice to meet you