Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet Jason Dion - Community Champion Spotlight

Hello Instructor Community!

It’s time to get to know one of your Community Champions in this month’s  Community Champion Spotlight. Each month we’re helping you get to know some of the community’s most active instructors on a more professional and personal level.

This week we are putting the spotlight on a familiar face in the Community, Jason Dion. He has been with Udemy for 5 years and has been a Champion for almost 4 years. Jason teaches in the Cyber Security, IT Service Management, Project Management space.

Get to know more about Jason in our interview below:

Bella_0-1645638071926.png

Who is Jason Dion?

Jason Dion, CISSP No. 349867, is a former college professor and the lead instructor at Dion Training Solutions. He has multiple information technology professional certifications, including Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Certified Network Defense Architect (CNDA), Digital Forensic Examiner (DFE), Digital Media Collector (DMC), CySA+, Security+, Network+, A+, PRINCE2 Practitioner, and ITIL. With networking experience dating back to 1992, Jason has been a network engineer, Deputy Director of a Network Operations Center, and an Information Systems Officer for large organizations around the globe. 

He holds a Master’s of Science degree in Information Technology with a specialization in Information Assurance, a Master’s of Arts and Religion in Pastoral Counseling, and a Bachelor’s of Science in Human Resources Management. He lives in Puerto Rico with his wife and children.

What is your teaching style?

Entertaining and informative.

What is one thing you wish that every NEW Udemy Instructor knew?

Success on Udemy takes time, it will not happen overnight.

Can you share your favorite experience/interaction with a student?

I love when students reach out to tell me how my courses have changed their lives. One student I had went from working in a bicycle repair shop to getting a job as a cybersecurity analyst. This change allowed him to increase his salary by 3-4x and better support his growing family. 

If you didn't teach on Udemy what would you be doing?

If I wasn't teaching on Udemy, I would likely still be working in the IT and cybersecurity industry. 

What is your favorite thing about being an online instructor?

The freedom it provides in my schedule since I can work when and where I want to. I am no longer trapped in the 8-5 rat race like I was before moving into online teaching.

Who would you want to be stranded with on a deserted island?

My beautiful wife, Tamera 😉

If you were a superhero, what powers would you have?

That's a difficult question. I think being able to read other people's minds would be pretty darn cool!

Have a question for Jason? Ask him in the comments below!

15 Replies

Hi Jason!

JasonDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @PhilEbiner !

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Hello Jason I am Kramer. Nice job 👌

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

"Have a question for Vash? Ask him in the comments below!"

Probably should say "Jason".

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oops 😅

Thanks for flagging, Scott! Fixed it. 😊

TameraDion
Community Champion

I mean the island isn't DESERTED, but we can pretend! Also, are you really wanting to hear all the thoughts in my mind? Aren't the ones that come out of it bad enough?

*Brains behind Jason Dion*
JasonDion
Community Champion

I take it back...anyone but "random" Tamera 😉

Love you,

Jason

Jason Dion
TameraDion
Community Champion

Remember, there are more out there like me. Enjoy listening to all the ear worms and weird thoughts.

*Brains behind Jason Dion*
Salil Dhawan
Community Champion

Hi Jason!

AxelRittershaus
Community Champion

Let me try a question @JasonDion ... Yes, I know, there is no try 😉

Anyway... 

Of all the tasks you delegated to your team, which is the one saving you the most time and energy - or you are the most grateful for not having to do it anymore?

@TameraDion might also answer 😉 

JasonDion
Community Champion

I would say there are 3 big ones for me:

(1) Video editing. As you know, video editing is very time consuming. If I have an hour of finished and ready to publish video, it usually takes 3-5 hours to edit. This saves me a TON of time. 

(2) Graphic/Slide Creation. One of my team members is brilliant at making the slides and graphics that the students see on screen. This is another area that can easily take 5-10 hours per hour of finished video. These days, I record in front of a green screen, give that video to my team member, and she creates all the graphics/slides, then sends to the video editor. Saves me a ton of time!

(3) Student support and basic questions. I have 3 full timers who help with answering student Q&A and emails. 2 are basic level, 1 is intermediate. If the 2 can’t answer, they send to the 1. If the 1 can’t answer, then it goes to me. Using this system, 95% of questions are answered by my team and not me. 

Thanks!

Jason

Jason Dion
AxelRittershaus
Community Champion

Thanks @JasonDion,

confirms my approach 🙂

Since we met in Berlin and you shared your approach, I have someone for video editing (busy getting 2 more onboard) and another person for graphics/slide creation. Good to hear that you also see this as two critical areas to outsource.

Since support questions are almost nonexistent, it's not an issue for me so far.

Talk soon,

Axel

Hi Jason, in your talk yesterday with Tamera, you mentioned some tech that you find really helpful.

One was for scripting and text to speech
The other was for improving audio.

Would you mind reminding me what they are? I'm afraid I made a note but have since lost that note

Kind regards

MIchael

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MichaelJames We just posted the replay of the webinar here if you'd like to take a look back at the session 😊

JasonDion
Community Champion

Michael,

Both are actally the same tool, it is called Descript. (www.descript.com)

This tool lets you edit your videos using the captions/transcription of your content (which they do automatically for you as you record or upload your videos).

They also have something known as Studio Sound, which is an AI-based audio cleanup algorithm that can be applied to your videos. 

I love it!
Jason Dion

Jason Dion
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors