Reached the 2 Comma Club, 1 Million in Lifetime Earnings on Udemy

Options

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.40.49 AM.png

I achieved an amazing milestone on Udemy this week.

I launched my first course on Udemy in January 2016. That month I did about $750 in sales.

Since then I've launched 16 additional courses. A lot of nights, weekends, and holidays have gone into course creation. Today, I'll see single days greater than my first month.

It's been a journey. The quality of my first course was awful. I recorded dreey lectures against a grey backdrop. And used a Blue Yeti that picked up EVERYTHING. You could hear planes flying overhead, my dog crying... Yeah, it was that awful! LOL

But I've learned a lot along the way. The organization and quality of my recent courses has significantly improved. Each course I created, I reflected on what I could do to improve. Some came from student feedback. Some came from learning from other successful instructors. The important part is to always be learning and improving.

I know when I was starting out, this level of success seemed unattainable. I hope newer instructors find inspiration from this post. There is no easy button. It takes work and time. Every lecture you create, grows your content. Every day that passes, more students will find you. Until someday, you look back and say wow!

To steal a slogan from the folks at ConvertKit - "Create Everyday!"

Comments

• JohnThompson
    Options

But you're taking that first step! Good luck with the launch!

• SAPBuddy
    SAPBuddy Posts: 201 Community Champion rank
    Options

Thanks for sharing, congratulation

• Thanks John. If nothing else it's my first real step forwards

• RodneyWalker
    Options

Congrats John! That's aWeSoMe!

What were the biggest lessons you learned along the way that might be helpful

for a newcomer to Udemy like myself and others?

What would you do differently in the early stages looking back from where you are now?

All the best,

Rodney

• RodneyWalker
    Options

Congrats @JohnThompson
    ! That's aWeSoMe!

What were the biggest lessons you learned along the way that might be helpful

for a newcomer to Udemy like myself and others?

What would you do differently in the early stages looking back from where you are now?

All the best,

Rodney

• Monica2021
    Monica2021 Posts: 211
    Options

Congrats

• JulianJenki396
    Options

Amazing well done

• JohnThompson
    Options

I would have hired help sooner. I have an assistant, a video editor, and couple of teacher assistants for helping with student questions. Helps me stay focused on content creation.

• TrevoirWill
    TrevoirWill Posts: 140 Community Champion rank
    Options

Wow. $1M in 6 years is no laughing matter. I am happy for you and this is very inspiring.

Congrats!

• EricYeboah294
    Options

This is a great inspiration, congratulations.

• Hi @JohnThompson, congratulations.

Thank you so much for sharing your story; it is undoubtedly a source of inspiration for all of us instructors.
    I wish you even more success.

• Rahul Iyer
    Rahul Iyer Posts: 390 Community Champion rank
    Options

Congratulations @JohnThompson
    Very well deserved and inspiring! Well done!

• JohnThompson
    Options

Thanks!

• DiogoAlvesd487
    Options

Congrats!

• NextGenHR506
    Options

Congratulations and hope to join your club soon

• Jotivity
    Jotivity Posts: 13
    Options

The best part is about how getting supported by students, I hope I can publish my 1st course

• AtilSamancioglu
    Options

Congratulations John, great achievement!

• DaniloMota
    DaniloMota Posts: 441 Community Champion rank
    Options

Wow, you are a sales monster!

• HofmeyrdeVo128
    Options

Love reading stories like this!! Congratulations !!

• Curtis.Norman
    Options

Congrats, John. Very impressive. I am curious to know what mic you recommend. Thanks

• Author_Subramanyam
    Options

Hi @JohnThompson
    yours's got an inspirational journey. I just joined this Udemy instructor's community and this is my first post to read and like.

I'm happy and truly delighted to be a part of this huge Udemy family and wish one day I get the eligibility to write a post like this.

• SoyMarketer
    SoyMarketer Posts: 316 Community Champion rank
    Options

Hey @JohnThompson
    . May I know your strategy with free courses? I noticed you have three of them...

• Elostrated
    Elostrated Posts: 1
    Options

@JohnThompson
    CONGRATULATIONS! I've just signed up as an instructor, so this really does inspire me! Thank you for posting!

• JohnThompson
    Options

I use the Rode Podcaster & very happy with it

• JohnThompson
    Options

Basic sales funnel strategy. Just trying to grow my audience. I know I have free students converting, but there's no good way of tracking this. The majority of free students never start the course. But a % of students will, and a % of those will enroll in a paid course.

• SoyMarketer
    SoyMarketer Posts: 316 Community Champion rank
    Options

Thanks!

• Blogging Betty Boomer
    Options

And I believe that the best is yet to come!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration. I have been reading these threads to get hopeful and pumped up and it's working. LOL And to just think we can tell others " I know him!"

• johnbosco leo
    Options

WOW , that’s really inspiring