❗️**Announcement** Course ratings suddenly dropped or dissapeared❗️

Comments

• Dr. Kat
    Dr. Kat Posts: 43 trailblazer rank
    edited September 24

Thanks so much for sharing, @AHardin! At least some public information somewhere. Udemy students still have no idea, and I bet, neither do some instructors.

• Any update on the same? My courses went to 0 or 1 ratings as well. Some jumped to 5 too.

• is Udemy looking to pay some compensation to the impacted instructors as this has caused much lesser enrolments and leaves a bad impression of the course and instructor ratings

• hi Udemy team , any update on this . multiple courses of mine got impacted AND one course had all its reviews wiped out ! .. this is seriously impacting revenue for instructors. At least provide a timeline for this

• RobAger
    RobAger Posts: 10 traveler rank

This still isn't fixed after 4 days. Rather than just posting an announcement saying it's being worked on, why not give some timescales?

I'm just waiting for the next development where the 'fix' doesn't restore the previous rating scores but actually causes more problems.

If Udemy can't work out what's wrong with their own ratings system/algorithm (which has never been transparent), they should just run a update over all courses and update the ratings based on the all time average, and maintain this until a longer term 'better' approach is agreed.

They should then engage with the instructor community over a long term approach which is fair to students and instructors, but deals with the review bombing that most if not all instructors have experienced.

• @AnupD, you may have hit the nail on the head. I have two examples - anecdotal - but that match this.

I've recently launched two courses:

• Public Speaking and Presenting in Finance - multiple reviews between 4.5 and 5 stars. Only one has a comment, which is a 5-star review, and the course went to 5 stars;
    • Ultimate Generative Persuasion - has 3 reviews, all of them 4.5 to 5 stars, but none of them has a comment, so if none of them counted, the course would have zero reviews - and it is at 0;

Just my experience, naturally, and a small sample size. But it matches your hypothesis.

• AnkitJoshi
    AnkitJoshi Posts: 3 researcher rank
    edited September 24

Enrollment gone down drastically since last few days and I am afraid that low rating inturn will invite another low ratings. For example if a user saw a course with low rating then definitely there would be a perception created at the time of enrollment and is very unlikely they would give a higher rating to the course so effectively recent ratings will pull down the actual ratings of the course unnecessarily.

The bug will be resolved eventually but damage is already done since last 5 days. Udemy needs to be transperant as this bug has actually affected the core fundamental pillar (rating & reviews) on which udemy stands tall.

• FrankKane
    FrankKane Posts: 1,798 rolemodel rank

@AnupD 's theory holds up I think. Starting to wonder if this change was intentional and here to stay.

• Even I think what @AnupD has pointed out might hold true, even though it's just a hypothesis but looking at the ratings of some of my courses, seems to be valid.

• Well done @AnupD !
    I checked on my courses and I noticed the same pattern.
    Maybe some of the Udemy Team members can share this info to the techs in order to fix it ASAP.

• @AnupD I noticed the same pattern with one two of my recently published courses where rating is linked to recent review with written feedback!

• ThomasMitchell
    ThomasMitchell Posts: 440 visionary rank
    edited September 24

I cannot imagine that they’d intentionally include only written comments in average rating calculations. That said, I have zero faith that the company knows what it’s doing at this point.

Makes me even more worried than I was about the whole GenAI implementation coming down the pike.

I guess the org can’t afford a dev environment.

• @ThomasMitchell - I agree with you. I have roughly 40K paid students. One 1 in 5 actually leave a rating. Of those 1 in 5, only 1 in 5 of those leave a review. If my math is correct, about 1 in 25 students leave an actual review. Basing a course rating on that borders on the ridiculous.

• Udemy themselves do not mandate that students should leave written feedback since this will discourage them to provide feedback, so it is a bug, and it is concerning that why they are taking so much time :)

Hope all will be good, many courses became Bestsellers due to this glitch, many others lost the badges and the market is moving!

On personal level, the enrolment trend is the same according to Monday/Tuesday baselines.

• SharleneFer977
    SharleneFer977 Posts: 6 researcher rank
    edited September 24

2 of my courses which were 5 stars now show no ratings I have logged 2 tickets with the contact Us and have now sent the screen shots 2 courses showing with no ratings when they should be 5 stars could effect my sales. Any updates yet??

• SharleneFer977
    SharleneFer977 Posts: 6 researcher rank
    edited September 24

just saw voider2049 comments that could be what happened to 1 of my courses but the other I only released in July this year and my old ratings have always shown before so not sure why only now they would drop-off also my 4.6 and 4.5 star courses have jumped to 5 stars I'm guessing that will drop down once they fix the issue not complaining about that

• RobAger

@AnupD

I've downloaded the reviews for my established courses into Excel and checked if the average rating is based on only the reviews with comments .. in my case it isn't.

• If Anup's theory is true, then is it only valid for written comments within 90 days ?! Because 1 of my slow moving courses has NO rating.

Only written comment ratings within 90 days are counted ... that's a DISASTER !!

• Based on the announcement, Udemy admitted it is a bug. As such, it should be a relatively quick fix, not over a week so far. I suspect it is a simple arithmetic problem. This is ridiculous.

• RobAger
    edited September 24

@SivakamiS2017 I checked this theory of only written reviews being counted and it doesn't match the new 'incorrect' ratings for my established courses - whether you look at reviews for the last 90 days, 180 days or all time. Maybe it does for some people .. but not me.

• That's a relief, Rob. I don't plan on calculating anything until Udemy gives us some concrete info.

This is a showstopper bug, and it's been 5 days ...

• Thank goodness I recently found a job. 😂
    Depending on Udemy is extremely risky.

• Dr. Kat
    Dr. Kat Posts: 43 trailblazer rank

It’s ridiculous that we’re not even getting an update on the matter. At this point, I would love to write an open letter to Udemy. It’s just a shame that when they’re losing, we’re losing.

• Dmitry
    Dmitry Posts: 35 storyteller rank

Well, it's only past 8am in California. I assume that we will get some updates soon

• AHardin
    AHardin Posts: 559 visionary rank

@RandyMinder I agree and I've been speculating the same as well. I've been keeping an eye on SEC's website because publicly traded companies have to report significant cyber incidents to the SEC via form 8-K within 4 business days of the incident, which is made public here.

• Dmitry
    Dmitry Posts: 35 storyteller rank

I don't think this qualifies as "significant cyber incident". It's a bug, that affected ratings. But users still can enroll, take courses, rate them, etc. I don't think incorrect review calculation qualifies as "significant cyber incident".
    So I would assume that's why there was no any news or information about this.