Udemy does not stream in 1080p on Chrome (Desktop OS, Windows or MAC).

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Udemy does not stream in 1080p on Chrome (Desktop OS, Windows or MAC).

I am recently facing an issue, where Udemy is streamed in 720p on my Macbook on CHrome browser, whereas on my android and iOS udemy application it streams in 1080p, is there a way to resolve this issue. My computer has a 4k screen and streaming 720p literally stresses my eyes. 

Thanks and hope to hear back from you soon. 

Regards,

Harsh.

14 Replies

Hi Harsh..please clear cache and cookies.thanks

I have already tried such an option. 

1. Relogged in 

2. Browser Updates
3. Incognito Mode

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hackerman Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Udemy employs an “Adaptive Streaming” player for course videos. This option is not yet available for all Udemy courses, but we’re always happy to enable it by instructor request. When enabled, it means that students can choose an “Auto” streaming option for the course video. With this Auto option, 1080p streaming is possible, if the student has the streaming capability and necessary screen size to take advantage of 1080p.

To get adaptive streaming enabled for your course, please reach out to the Support team and our team will be happy to set it up for you.  To contact the team, please open the help center article here and click “Contact Us” on the right side. 

Eliana 

Udemy Community Moderator 

When I download any of my lectures (or the lectures from other courses) from Udemy, they arrive at 144 pixels (believe it or not), so yes, I know what you are talking about, and it has been this way for years (in spite of my messages to support). I have no idea why Udemy has ignored my cries (and my students' cries) for help. Are your downloads also 144 pixels?

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DaveSkypele067 Yes, there is an ongoing issue when instructors are trying to download videos as they are downloaded at 144p, the team is aware of this and they are investigating so this can be fixed. Thanks for your understanding and patience towards this. 

Thanks for responding, Eliana. I have mentioned this many times to support, and I was starting to think that Udemy couldn't care less about this fault with their platform. I need my students to be able to download the lectures in 720 (at least), as I have lots of information on my whiteboard.  Until it gets fixed, I can't be bothered to add lessons to Udemy. This experience has demotivated me and alerted me to the weaknesses of the platform. Fortunately, there are many other options available. 

Hi @ElianaC 

I am not the instructor of the course, but thats an option that should be enabled by default. @DaveSkypele067 I do not download courses, so I am not aware of the issue said by you, but the streaming quality is 720p even if the course has a 1080p recording. That can be proved when opening the app via Android and iOS phones/Tablets/iPads. 

Thank you

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Hackerman This is a good suggestion. We have had other people asking about this, so this is on our list this has been shared with the product team and it's under evaluation, if this gets implemented we will be announcing it. 

Certainly, I'm encountering the same issue. It's frustrating to experience such a downgrade in streaming quality, especially on a device with a high-resolution screen like your MacBook. Have you tried adjusting any settings within the Chrome browser or the Udemy website itself to see if there's an option to manually select a higher resolution? If not, it might be worth reaching out to Udemy's customer support for further assistance. Additionally, if you're familiar with CapCut video editor, you could explore the possibility of enhancing the video quality through post-production editing techniques. Moreover, if you want to download capcut mod apk then visit this website https://capcutproapk.org/ Hopefully, we can find a solution soon to make the learning experience more comfortable for us both.

If you're experiencing issues with Udemy not streaming in 1080p on Chrome, particularly on desktop operating systems like Windows or macOS, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Check Internet Connection: Ensure that you have a stable and high-speed internet connection. Slow or unstable connections can affect streaming quality.

2. Browser Settings: Check your Chrome browser settings to ensure that streaming quality is not restricted. Sometimes, browser extensions or settings may limit video resolution. Go to Chrome settings > Advanced > Content settings > Media, and make sure that "Ask when a site wants to use a camera or microphone" is set to Allow.

3. Clear Cache and Cookies: Clearing your browser's cache and cookies can sometimes resolve streaming issues. Go to Chrome settings > Privacy and security > Clear browsing data, and select "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files." Then, click on "Clear data."

4. Update Chrome: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Google Chrome. Outdated browser versions may have compatibility issues with streaming platforms.

5. Disable Hardware Acceleration: Sometimes, hardware acceleration can cause playback issues. Try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome by going to Chrome settings > Advanced > System, and toggle off "Use hardware acceleration when available."

6. Check Udemy Video Settings: In the Udemy video player, check if there is an option to manually select the video quality. If available, switch to 1080p resolution.

7. Try a Different Browser: If the issue persists, try using a different web browser like Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge to see if you can stream in 1080p without any problems.

8. Contact Udemy Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, reach out to Udemy's customer support for further assistance by app. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or insights specific to your account or device. 

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue with Udemy not streaming in 1080p on Chrome browsers running on Windows or macOS desktop operating systems.

Thanks, but I tried that 2 years ago. It still doesn't work for me or my students, and Udemy just ignores my complaints. 

Something else that doesn't work...

"To get adaptive streaming enabled for your course, please reach out to the Support team and our team will be happy to set it up for you.  To contact the team, please open the help center article here and click “Contact Us” on the right side. "

You just end up interacting with a Bot. No help at all.

Robert Chalmers
Author & Instructor

Udemy loves bots and AI. There's an erroneous fad going round that believes humans can easily be replaced with microchips. It's the new religion, and I am absolutely sick of it. 

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RobertChalmers

I apologize for the difficulties you've encountered with our chatbox, Alex.

Could you please send an email to instructorsupport@udemy.com requesting the team to enable adaptive streaming for you?

Thank you very much! Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors