How come a bunch of people joined my class but no one leaves reviews?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come a bunch of people joined my class but no one leaves reviews?

Well I just published my first course

however I made a free coupon but I think it was a mistake, because I see a looot of students came in, over 150. but they are just hoarding, not completting the content nor leaving reviews.

shall I remove this coupon?

4 Replies

Hi @ClementAlexandre - Giving out free coupons or making your course free is rarely a good idea. Most of the signups are bots and not real students. It's likely that the 150 that joined are not real students. 

Regarding ratings and reviews, I have close to 30 courses I have created and am approaching 20K paid students. It's been my experience that only about 1 in 5 PAID students will leave a rating. Of that 1 in 5, only about 1 in 5 of those will leave any sort of review. What this means is that once you have five PAID students, you might get a rating. Once you have 25 PAID students you might get a review.

You're going to need a lot of patience. You have created a course on a topic that is not particularly in demand on Udemy and you are competing against other established courses. It could take many months to gain any sort of real traction.

Yes, removing the free coupon might filter out passive learners and encourage engagement from genuinely interested students. You should also consider replacing it with a limited-time offer or setting specific completion milestones for reviews. Or I would say, engage with the community, incentivize feedback, and emphasize the value of their opinions to prompt reviews.

EZDriveMA

The other side to this is the more students you show enrolled the more credibility your course is perceived to have. I would just let it go for now. It's early and if you're providing descent content the reviews will come.

Hi @Dayztrader -

"The other side to this is the more students you show enrolled the more credibility your course is perceived to have."

Enrollments mean nothing because of free courses and free coupons.  When selecting a course to purchase, students don't care about enrollments. They care about ratings. Rating counts are far more important. And, the more the better as long as the ratings are roughly above 4.2 - 4.4 . 

When I purchase a course, I don't even look at enrollment counts. I will generally search for the topic I am interested in and filter the courses so that I am only looking at courses rated 4.5 or higher. I'll then generally select the course with the highest number of ratings. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors