Want an Opinion on Your Upcoming/New Course From a Top Seller?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottDuffy
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Want an Opinion on Your Upcoming/New Course From a Top Seller?

Update 02/21: I continue to provide feedback to people leaving comments on this post. I will be traveling for the next week and won't be able to do much in that time. But please be patient, and I will return to this thread when I return.

Hi there, my name is Scott, and I've been on Udemy for nine years — 1.1 million paying students as of now.

If you have a new course (or one that just went live) and want some honest, constructive feedback to make it better, I'll spend 10 minutes looking at your landing page, promo videos, and anything else I can see and give you some solid ideas of things that you can improve. I promise I won't be too harsh but I'll be honest.

Post in the comments, and I'll go to your profile page and find your latest course. Or post a YouTube link to one of the videos if the course is not live yet. 

Any of the other community champions can jump on and give feedback to any of the instructors looking for feedback.

100 Replies

Thank you, Scott!

This is a worthy move.

Please have a look at my first course:

https://www.udemy.com/course/energy-points-for-immunitybalancedopingpainrelaxation/?couponCode=HOLFE...

Every feedback is much appreciated.

Take care,

Žiga

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Hi Ziga,

I watched your promo and intro videos, and it's clear this was professionally made. Your audio is clear, and the editing is professional. I'm not going to be able to suggest anything about the videos of the course to improve it.

It does seem a bit short, at 39 minutes. Is that a good length for such a course on energy pressure points? I don't know. The section on painkilling is only 5 total minutes. I imagine that someone in pain might need longer than that to learn properly how to alleviate their pain.

If the course is on Ayurvedic, why don't you use that word in the title?  I think that word might be something people are searching for. 

Speaking of the title, there's something that can be improved about it. Right now, you use ALL CAPS and have smashed all the words together (to fit it in I guess) "IMMUNITY/BALANCE/DOPING/PAIN/RELAXATION". That title does not seem balanced to me.

Some of these words can be used in the subtitle, which can be much longer.  I would re-word the title and subtitle (using Proper Title Case not ALL CAPS) to explain what the course is about in a more balanced way.

Good luck and all the best,

Scott

Thanx, Scott!

This is much appreciated.

I've already implemented your suggestions.

Take care!

Hello Scott,

Thanks for doing this. I hope your offer still stands because I've just released a new course and it would mean a world for me to hear your opinion and criticism.

My new course about Object-Oriented Programming: https://www.udemy.com/course/object-oriented-programming-design-course/

Thanks!

P.S. I've enrolled in your Udemy SEO course in the past. It's a blast. However, I can't find it listed anymore (still have access to the material though). Did you decide to pull it down? If yes, may I ask why?

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Hi Vasily,

Tile is clear, and it's easy to understand what the course is about. The section and lesson names are clear and the course is well organized. Good use of bolding and bullet points to make it easy for the student skimming the landing page to decide if that course if for them. I guess with 10 courses now, you're getting good at this. 

I would perhaps make a couple of mode videos as free preview. Since the first two videos of the course are free preview, does that really represent well whats inside the course? Set a couple of more to free preview, imo.

Your videos are professionally done. Good talking heads. Audio is clear. No echo. Good use of music and text on screen to emphasize your points. Good job here.

I don't have anything really to suggest to improve this course. If someone wants to learn object-oriented programming, your course can be considered. 

You need to get a few reviews, as you know. Since you have a bunch of other students in other courses, this would mainly be done through promo emails, coupons and asking for reviews.

The other comment I would make is that I suspect this is a tough subject to be successful in. OOP is one of those core fundamental topics of computer science like algorithms, so I suspect there are 10000 courses on Udemy on the subject. You've picked a tough fight. Good luck!

Scott

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

I stopped updating my Udemy SEO course because Udemy updated their search algorithms and it became more difficult for students to improve their search rankings.  For instance, in the early days, I could help someone go from page 9 of search results to page 1 fairly easily through SEO optimization tactics. Nowdays, that kind of improvement overnight is impossible.

Most of my advice is these days around topic selection and improving the quality of the videos. Of course, if I see simple errors such as not being clear in the title or description of what the course is about or if the course image is not great, that can still be helpful.

Hi Scott, I would really appreciate any feedback at all! https://www.udemy.com/course/forensic-psychology-and-offender-profiling-certificate/?referralCode=56...

Thanks so much

Kevin O'Doherty

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

HI Kevin,

Your course looks really professional. If I was looking to get into forensic psychology, I would feel your course would be a good one to take.

Good promo video. Good audio (although a bit of echo but it's OK). Good video. It's well edited. I like that you have talking head videos in the course. I appreciate the warnings in the intro video about the types of content you cover for people not wanting to see graphic/gory descriptions of crimes. 

Good course image, good title and subtitle.

I'm sorry, but I really don't have suggestions for improvement. It's a professional course, well done, and I don't feel I can offer any improvements.

Congrats and good job.

Hi please check my profile. 

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Hi Mansoor,

I really love to see that you're teaching a unique topic on Udemy. HVAC design. How interesting!

That said, I think the title and subtitle could use some improvement. I guess HVAC makes sense to people in the industry, but what is HAP? Is that an abbreviation for something? Is it popular for people to know what that means? Maybe it is. I would make the title a bit longer.

The subtitle is not proper English grammar. You need to tell people WHY they should take your course.

The videos appear to be about 1 hour per video. You have 18 lectures for a total length of 16 hours. I don't think that's ideal. People will need to sit and watch for an hour, instead of only 15 or 20 minutes at a time. This makes it less convenient for students to take a break and come back to the course later.

The videos also appear to be a recording of a webinar. So for instance, the first few minutes of video 1 are just people saying "hello", "I will begin the recording now," "OK, you can record", "huh?" "I said you can go ahead and record." "Oh, ok".  

I think the audio can be improved.

I guess what I'm saying is that this format (18 one-hour videos of a webinar recording) is not a traditional Udemy course format. I like that you have some downloads in there.

Some of the section titles use all lower case, SOME USE ALL UPPER CASE, and Some Use Title Case. This is not professional. Pick a consistent case for section and lesson titles.

Some of the section and lesson titles say "SESSION ON HAP SOFTWARE.mp4". No need to include the "MP4" in the title. 

Requirements "just need your precious time". Well, I would argue that the ideal student should be someone looking to get into the HVAC industry, to start. Or someone already in the industry with a few years experience? Maybe they should have some type of background in engineering. You should filter out the students who probably shouldn't sign up for the course.

Good luck!
Scott

Hi Scott,

I would love it if you could take a 10 minute look at my new course just published.

https://www.udemy.com/course/certified-management-analyst-oe-program/learn/lecture/34433814#overview

Very Respectfully,

Chuck Mitchell, Owner/Managing Director

AfCI LLC (Florida)

crm@hpo21institute.com

I like this course and the outline and is considering to purchase it

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Hi Chuck,

Please accept this feedback as constructive and an attempt to be helpful.

What are the exact "search keywords" you would expect your ideal student to enter into Google or the Udemy search bar for which your course should be placed as the number 1 result?

And once we know that, how aligned is your current course title, subtitle and description to that?

It seems like you are teaching people the skills they need to attain the Certified Management Analyst - Organization Excellence (CMA-OE) certification. But I do not see that abbreviation or those words anywhere in your course description. 

You say that in the intro video, but it's not written ANYWHERE on the course landing page.

If this is true... (this is my best attempt at understanding what your course teaches)...

You need to state that more plainly. Your title is vague. You seem really focused on your company's trademarked brand name (OE21) moreso than the CMA-OE certification. Will people be searching Google for "OE21" or will they be searching Google for "CMA-OE"?

I can understand if, for legal reasons, you are prevented from using the term CMA-OE. I have been there myself with a litigious certification organization trying to stop me from doing training in my first couple of months on Udemy, but you need to focus more on "what are people looking for that leads them here?"

Even if it's "Balridge Excellence Framework", you don't use that term at all, either. 

Trying to avoid vague terms like "workplace excellence". People are not searching Google for "workplace excellence in the 21st century".

That's my main feedback.

* You need a new course title

* You need more than zero students, you need some reviews from trusted clients and other people you're not directly related to or paying for their review...

* Your course videos are well done and professional

* Audio is clear

* You seem qualified to teach the subject

* What is "course 1", "course 2", "course 3", ... "course 6" in the intro video? Does this Udemy course contain all 6 courses? Or the students are expected to purchase 5 other courses besides this one?

* Nice use of quizzes and downloadable materials for students to study offline

* I think your "requirements" section is a bit light. You say the student only needs to have a basic understanding of excel, but I bet the student needs to have at least a few months experience working as a manager? I would add more realistic requirements to prevent unqualified students from joining and leaving a bad review.

All the best,

Scott

Will do

Hey Scott!

I would love some honest feedback on my course about Video Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro. I currently have over 5,000+ students (mostly free students) and I’m having trouble selling the course consistently and gaining more students within the United States. 

Any feedback or advice would be wonderful and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again Scott 

Hi Scott, im trying to complete my first course but stuck in the cirriculum area, i have made 5 lectures as it requested me to do but cant seem to sumbit for review, can you please help me. https://www.udemy.com/instructor/course/5822366/manage/goals/

David

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Usually this is because something is missing from one of the pages. 

Check which page of the course doesn't have a checkmark.

Using Siril to Process Deep Space Astronomy Photography _ Udemy - Google Ch.. 2024-02-21 at 3.40.11 PM.jpeg

Also, for your first course, I believe you have to be approved as a premium instructor which includes tax forms and such. 

Hello, Scott!
That's just unbelievably that you are ready to help many novice instructors.
I extremely appreciate it.

This is my first online course:
https://www.udemy.com/course/python-basics-e/?referralCode=346A1ADE23A778C8FFEE
I know how far it is from perfection.
But I will be very grateful if you take a look at it. 

The video is great. I couldn't fully hear the words very clearly, but if I replayed it, I would hear them.

Thank you very much for watching!

English is not my native language.
Should I pronounce words clearly and add captions?
And what can you say about my microphone noise?

Thanks Scott! Interested to learn how the Trailhead Academy style sits with a seasoned revenue generating course pro such as yourself. Don't hesitate to google translate my landing page. My first language is English but really passionate about sharing these skills with another culture.close

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!