When and Why Should I Use a Teleprompter For My First Course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When and Why Should I Use a Teleprompter For My First Course?

I know that the use of a teleprompter could be invaluable but I hesitate to try to learn how to use one before I launch my first class.I am sure there is a Udemy class I can soak up before I launch but just wondering if everyone uses that technology. Thanks

1 Reply
MarkLassoff
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Blogging Betty Boomer 

We use a prompter in some instances and not in others.   Generally, for introductions, wrap-ups, and other structural videos, we script and read off a prompter.  We also sometimes use it for instructional videos where we want to get a single learning objective across in a tight timeline.

When we're in "teaching mode", demonstrating software, code, or technology, we purposefully don't use a prompter.  We'd like the viewer to feel like the instructor is sitting right next to them, explaining what to do step-by-step.  Remember that video learning is missing the "intimacy" of the student-teacher relationship.  Bad prompter can dehumanize the interaction even more, so be judicious in your usage.

Here's an example of a video we did with a prompter:

And here's a video we did without a prompter.  (Notice the difference in approach)

The challenge is not in learning to use the prompter software-- It doesn't take anyone on our team more than 10 minutes to use our iPad-based software.  The challenge is in learning to read off the prompter and seem natural!

Mark Lassoff
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.