Choosing the best ESL course topic for my first course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing the best ESL course topic for my first course

Dear Instructors,

I would like some advice on choosing the best course topic to create my first Udemy course. My specialty is ESL - IELTS, TOIC etc, and I see that there are already a lot of courses in those areas.
Perhaps I could really specialize - such as --

i) making a course on English for Pilots - (ICAO English Test (International Civil Aviation Organization English Language Proficiency Test)
ii) the GEPT test - used by schoolchildren in Taiwan (where I live), to enter colleges in Taiwan

I can't find any courses for either of the above. Does this mean there is not a market for them on Udemy?
Would it be an idea for me to make a short FREE course in these topics to see if there is a response?

Do you have any advice or ideas for which would be the hottest topics for me to make a start?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yours

Paul Godden

2 Replies
Bessy
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @PaulGodden-510 We’re glad to hear that you're interested in creating an Udemy course!😊

While other instructors share their experiences, I highly recommend that you check our Marketplace Insights tool to ensure that there is a demand for this topic among our learners.

Marketplace Insights provides data on the popularity of specific topics, the competition level, and the potential audience size. This information can help you determine if there is a viable market for your course and how to position it for success.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out again - we're here to support you throughout the process. 

Best of luck! 🙂

Thanks for your quick reply, Bessy. I have already used this tool, and can't find any info on the 2 course ideas  I mentioned, so your suggestion hasn't answered my question.  Namely - should I create a free course for a topic that the Insights Tool has no information about?    I already see that IELTS is pretty saturated, and Toeic has a small student base.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors