Students to earnings ratio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Students to earnings ratio

My first course had 3,800~ students and my earnings were about 8,600 USD. Does that make sense?

I know that many students get to enroll for free and there's Udemy's cut, but getting a little over $2 a pop for a course selling for $29.99 seems a bit extremely low to me. 

Is there's a general rule of thumb to calculate projected earnings based on theoretical sales?

2 Replies

Hello,

Your earnings of $8,600 from 3,800 students might seem low, but several factors can impact this:

Udemy’s Cut: Udemy takes a percentage of the course price, which varies. You get 97% from your own promotions but only 37% from Udemy’s marketing.
Discounts: Many students likely bought your course at a discounted price, not the full $29.99.
Free Enrollments: Some students may have enrolled for free.
Refunds: Any refunds issued will reduce your total earnings.

A rough formula to estimate earnings is:
Earnings=Students×Avg Price Paid×Revenue Share
For example, with 3,800 students, an average price of $10, and a 37% revenue share:
3,800×10×0.37=$14,060
This is a simplified estimate, but it should help clarify things.

Hope this work for you.

Best Regards,
florence023
GMSocrates

Hello @MickeyBlume913 - You need to understand how Udemy works. First of all, the price you set really means nothing. Udemy will set the price for your course based on what it thinks the proper price should be, using on a number of internal algorithms.  Second, 95% or more of your sales will only come when Udemy is running some sort of sale (which is almost every week). During a sale, the price for your course will get marked down to somewhere between $9.95 and $12.95. Udemy keeps most of this. You will end up getting anywhere between $.75 and $5 per sale, depending on the country the student purchasing the course lives in (and other factors). So, $2.26 per sale might be slightly low (depending upon how many students got a free copy) but within the range of what you might expect to receive. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!