Why is my payout from Udemy so low?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my payout from Udemy so low?

Hi, I just uploaded some courses to Udemy. One has 2 students and is priced at £89.95 ($248) but my payout is listed as $9.46! Is this really all I get from these sales? Thanks

8 Replies
Salil Dhawan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

You can go into revenue reports and see exact transaction and deductions details for each enrollment.

Thank you for that. I checked Revenue Report but I'm still in the dark. Is there somewhere where Udemy explain more fully their payments to course creators. Right now, I seem to only be getting 4% of the selling price!

Or is it because Udemy have some mandatory occasional price reduction and I'm somehow signed up for that? If so, is that explained somewhere? 

Thanks for your help

Thor
Community Champion

@Dev227 wrote:

Hi, I just uploaded some courses to Udemy. One has 2 students and is priced at £89.95 ($248) but my payout is listed as $9.46! Is this really all I get from these sales? Thanks

A few misconceptions here:

£89.95 is not ($248), it is closer to $124. 

You are probably signed up for sales and promotions, so your course does not sell for the list price, but for the sales price. 

With the $9.46 revenue, would assume the actual sales price was around $28, is the $9.46 is for both, then around $14 per student in sales price.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Hi Thor,

Thanks. There were, as mentioned, 2 students for the course so it would be $124 each, hence $248. 

Ah okay, so Sales & Promotion means they reduce price by many times? So, for a course originally at $124, they reduce it by roughly 10 times! I was not aware that I was signed up for that.

GuilhermeMP
Community Champion

Unfortunately, students usually don't buy courses at the table price. They buy the courses when there is a sale going on. When there is a sale, the courses are priced at low prices (like EUR 9.99, USD 12.99, BRL 22.90, INR 455, etc, depends on the country), regardless of the list price you set at the moment you created the course.

Thor
Community Champion

You clicked accept, even if you did not read it. 

You can opt out, but also know that will probably result in 0 sales.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Thanks. It's just useful to know how the platform actually works - not at the price the creator specifies but at non-proportional, ultra-low pricing during sales. 

I guess, for me, Udemy will be better for generating leads, rather than making income. I already run a successful online course business from my own website, so I was just checking out a few platforms to see how many organic sales might be made from existing platform users.

GuilhermeMP
Community Champion

Don't get me wrong and don't feel bad, but this payout is actually good. My average payout is roughly U$3.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors