What advice would you give to new instructors?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello community 😊

Becoming an instructor is a journey filled with growth, learning, and memorable moments. For seasoned educators, it's a path paved with invaluable experiences. But what about those who are just starting out on this exciting adventure?

To guide and support the next generation of educators, we want to tap into the collective wisdom of our community of instructors:

Share your pearls of wisdom, insights, and tips to help new educators thrive. 

Share your advice in the comments below!

27 Replies

I would offer two pieces of advice:

1) Before the instructor spends months creating their first course, they should do their homework and research how many courses already exist in the topic area. A routine  question I see here from new instructors is, "why am I getting so few sales?". A common reason for this is because 20+ courses already exist, all rated 4.5 or higher. It's virtually impossible to compete against this.

2) Understand how little the instructor will earn from each sale. A typical question I see here is, "I put so much work into my course,  published it and set the price at $49.95. Udemy sold it for $9.95 and I earned $3. What happened?" Typically an instructor will a maximum of $2-$5 per sale. Sometimes as low as $.65. And, if the instructor stays in the Deals program, they have no control over the price of their course. Udemy attempts to determine the optimum price.

Wow this is good information for anyone new

Hello,

This information is really helpful. 

Thank you for the advice. 

Iam new instructor also, published my 1st course in animation 2 weeks ago. 

So far I have 41 students, is it low number or I am on the right track ?

Another question :the number of students coming from Udemy marketing is really low compared to my effort in getting traffic, like 15/85%

Thank you for those advices! 

Thanks for the advice, Randy. I understand from your first response that it would be good to create a unique course. With what you said in your second response, I guess I'd ask whether you still think it's worth it to teach on Udemy. If folks are earning an average of $3.00 per course, it all comes down to how many courses sell. I do have the impression it's a good idea to do your own marketing as well.

Hello @RoG -  I cannot tell you if it's worth it to teach on Udemy. If you do, just be aware of what you are getting in to. It is EXTREMELY difficult for new instructors to make any sort of real money (more than say $200 per month) on Udemy. The competition is fierce and unless your course has something to do with business or technology, it's even harder. 

Also, before you start creating your course, do a little research and see how many other courses already exist on the topic. Very few instructors bother doing this and they then wonder why they are not getting any sales.

@RandyMinder, thanks so much for your response!

Quite frankly, if someone is entering this space now, they are a very late entrant, and their success is dicey, except if they are making Courses on AI !

UB and Subscription Margins are very low. Marketplace sales are deteriorating rapidly, and have been for a while.

Yup. If they haven’t already, Udemy should include the planned reductions in UfB in TOS and promotional materials so when a new instructor is considering the platform, they know. 

If I were new, signed up, spent 6 months building a course with the intent to get into UfB, only to find out after the fact that my 25% revenue share will be cut each year over the next few, down to 15%, I’d be angry. 

I guess that’s the long way of saying I’d tell people to re-think their plans altogether. 

We each have a unique style, so bring it boldly. I recently read Generation Z, the youngest entering our workforce, prefer Millennial managers. Food for thought when it comes to their preference for online courses and perhaps a younger instructor. Coming from an older member of the forum. Diversity of instructors offering similar topics is necessary for the 5 generations we have in the workforce.

This is good to know.

You lose nothing but tie and a little in terms of resources to create a course. What people say about how revenues are dropping is pretty much true and hat's got a lot to do with how Udemy is restructuring to make sure it gets the lion's share of your hard work and if you came to Udemy expecting to leave your job then you'll be disappointed. But if you just want a side hustle and to refine your content creation and teaching skills in a live environment then it's a good place for that. They say the tide lifts all boats equally and, with diminishing returns, the opposite is also probably true. There is room for good marketers and hustlers to move and shake - especially now Udemy is delivering less and taking more from it's instructors.

Jeepers! This is a bit depressing! I don't understand what people are saying about how Udemy is taking more/ diminishing returns. I thought the % price was set? I must admit, I did think it was a but much that Udemy takes 67% but it seems that they can take even more than that...! What the...? 😕

I have 41 student and they paid me for every student less than a 1$😅

warm up you can do too much for yourself and others

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Hi I am Marc , I am  a new here , Its nice to be part of this educators instructors community , im learning a lot from this instructors program and how to set up a course , something i never did before, its full of challenge and new things to learn. I beleive in learning new things to advance in life, it is a challenge for me to do this and im curious about it all... 

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MarcJ578 Welcome to the instructor's community! You will be able to find useful information about the course creation process by using the search bar tool. 

Hi thank you for this opportunity to be able to join and work on my project with this Udemy  platform, i like to do this, not exactly for money but for a specific other reason. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.