Best video resolution & fps for recording talking head videos?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best video resolution & fps for recording talking head videos?

I reviewed this Udemy article about video standards, but wanted to clarify the optimal video recording resolution and fps to ensure final rendered videos on Udemy look best. I understand all videos get resampled to 30fps, and Udemy recommends videos are recorded at 1920x1080 resolution or higher. 

1. Is there any benefit to recording in 4K, 30fps instead of 1080p, 30fps? I have a camera that can record in either 1080p or 2160p.
  2. Is there a benefit to recording at 60fps instead of 30fps? Again, I can do either.

I'm mostly wondering if the additional rendering time and file sizes are worth it and make a noticeable difference, also trying to ensure my videos are as future-proof as possible. 

Thanks!

3 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JosephLiu  We are happy to know you can record your videos with a high resolution. In this case, as per our video standards, your videos need to have at least 720p and 25 to 60 fps. If you have a better resolution such as 1080p or 4k, that is fine, however, Udemy doesn't support 4k resolution just yet and once the video is uploaded the resolution will be reprocessed in our platform once you upload them, so if you upload the video in 4k with a 60 fps, the video will be reprocessed to 720p and 30 fps. Keep in mind that having 4k resolution videos might take longer to upload to the platform. 

Udemy employs an “Adaptive Streaming” player for course videos. This option is not yet available for all Udemy courses, but we’re always happy to enable it by instructor request. When enabled, it means that students can choose an “Auto” streaming option for the course video. With this Auto option, 1080p streaming is possible, if the student has the streaming capability and necessary screen size to take advantage of 1080p.

To get adaptive streaming enabled for your course, please reach out to iInstructor Supportand our team will be happy to set it up for you.

I hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

Appreciate the response @ElianaC - just to confirm if we upload a 4k video Udemy will resize it to 720?

And if we upload a 1080 it will be resized to 720, unless we actively request "adaptive streaming"?

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Robert_Hean Yes, that is correct. The video will be resized to 720p and you should be able to request adaptive streaming. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors