I make my first $200 on Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I make my first $200 on Udemy

Go to solution

I Posted My First Course on Udemy in 2019 and Since Then I Have Posted 20 Courses but haven't Seen Much Growth.

So Far the Money I Have Earned from Udemy Is Only About 200 to 250, I Have More Than 42,000 Students, Most of My Courses Are Free, and Very Few Courses Are Paid.

It Is Frustrating for Me That I Have Worked So Hard and Created Courses but Still I Am Not Getting Any Special Reward.

gdhd.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

I am new to Udemy, hence I don't know how udemy works, but from my personal experience on teaching and generating revenues from it, I can give you couple of pointers. Hope, that helps.
1. first do a market analysis of how your course stands from rest of the courses on similar topic and what you are offering new. In simple terms, why students will pay you money for your course. If you identify that,  put that everywhere starting from description, promos, free videos.
2. Take reviews very very seriously. Even you should ask what went wrong or right directly to students who haven't give you ratings but completed the course to some extend. Address those reviews and put those measures in the website. That will make a positive impact on rest of the students that you take reviews seriously and correct those.
I am sure you will generate more revenues going forward. All the best!

View solution in original post

Go to solution

Hi Muhammad,

I looked at your courses and here is my opinion.

1. Stop creating free courses.

2. Your paid courses are extremely short. Your longest course is 3 hours. Nothing wrong with 3 hours, but some students do look at course length as a factor.

3. I took a quick look at your Wix course. Your first lecture is called "ntroduction Wix.com 1.mp4". You are missing an "I"! Moreover the name of your lecture is an mp4 file! The very next lecture is "Weccome to Wix Course". Welcome is spelled with an "l" and this is grammatically incorrect. Sorry, but from just these two mistakes I would never sign up for such a course.

4. I'm watching your promo video only because I want to help, but because of the grammar I probably wouldn't continue. The beginning is cool and then we see "you can earn 1k$ In Month". This is grammatically incorrect. It seems like you are doing everything possible to get people not to sign up for your course. I'm one minute into the video and the site looks nice, but you say "okay" too much.

5. Your English is fairly clear. However it seems like English is not your mother tongue. Perhaps you could also consider creating a course in your mother tongue. Arabic if I'm not mistaken. I would imagine you'd have quite a large audience. Even consider translating one of your existing courses into Arabic. (Recently I saw a successful instructor on Udemy translate one of her courses into Korean since she is fluent in that language).

6. Your Wix course has quite a lot of students despite only 37 reviews. That in my opinion is because you've been giving out your course for free. Don't give anything away for free.

Bottom line. You need your course to be more professional, don't give anything for free and stop creating free courses. Try to teach a course that is a little more in-depth. Correct spelling mistakes. Also consider the possibility of teaching a course in your mother tongue. I think this has real potential.

By the way your course "What's Meta - How Metaverse Change the World - Short Course" is grammatically incorrect. I noticed that most of your videos are under 40 seconds. I guess that's okay. Seems a little short.

As for the description:

"

If you really think you want to know about the Metaverse and make money from it or whatever is going on in your mind then share it with me.

Not only Metaverse, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain but also according to its related and as many topics as you want for which let me know. I will do my best to make a course on it so you also get to learn something, Will keep thanks

"

Use ChatGPT or a friend to correct the grammar. It simply looks so unprofessional. I actually just read a review complaining that the lectures are all under one minute.

It seems like you have valuable knowledge but you have to make a greater effort to create a quality course. At the very least correct the grammar.

Please don't take offense. I am trying to honestly help.

Good luck!

Ron

Go to solution

Hi @msufyanali Thank you for sharing your problem. I'm sorry your hard work didn't pay off. Frankly, I'm new to Udemy. But I know very well that, like many platforms, Udemy also attaches importance to viewing times. One of the biggest problems is that 16 out of 20 courses are free. I know well that many people say that creating a free course would be beneficial. Maybe that's why you created free courses. But you have so many free courses. The problem starts here: Udemy users usually enroll in a free course when they see it, even if it is not their area of interest.After watching a few lessons, they stop watching the course because it is not of their interest. So your courses are not reaching the right target audience because they are free. Thus, even if people take the course, they do not rate the course and do not comment on the course, and since the viewing time of the course is very low, Udemy recommends your courses less.

I hope your problem will be solved and you can make good sales. 🙂

21 Replies

Go to solution

I am new to Udemy, hence I don't know how udemy works, but from my personal experience on teaching and generating revenues from it, I can give you couple of pointers. Hope, that helps.
1. first do a market analysis of how your course stands from rest of the courses on similar topic and what you are offering new. In simple terms, why students will pay you money for your course. If you identify that,  put that everywhere starting from description, promos, free videos.
2. Take reviews very very seriously. Even you should ask what went wrong or right directly to students who haven't give you ratings but completed the course to some extend. Address those reviews and put those measures in the website. That will make a positive impact on rest of the students that you take reviews seriously and correct those.
I am sure you will generate more revenues going forward. All the best!

Go to solution

Try Gaining skills into something that is more advance ..

Go to solution

Not just a matter of 2 years I have been making courses for the past 5 years

Go to solution

This is very concerning- how is that possible? Are there no remedies?

Go to solution

Hi msufyanali,

I concur with you. 

My problem is I don't know how to connect my bank details like how they create the check out pages? Any hint will help me.

Thank you.

Go to solution

What is your course topic? I have a feeling that maybe your topic is not in demand ?

Go to solution

wix

canva 

instagram

blogging

Go to solution

Very nice. Canva sounds very interesting. So does the rest.

Good luck!

GuilhermeMP
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Congrats! Nice job 🙂 

Go to solution

Hi Muhammad,

I looked at your courses and here is my opinion.

1. Stop creating free courses.

2. Your paid courses are extremely short. Your longest course is 3 hours. Nothing wrong with 3 hours, but some students do look at course length as a factor.

3. I took a quick look at your Wix course. Your first lecture is called "ntroduction Wix.com 1.mp4". You are missing an "I"! Moreover the name of your lecture is an mp4 file! The very next lecture is "Weccome to Wix Course". Welcome is spelled with an "l" and this is grammatically incorrect. Sorry, but from just these two mistakes I would never sign up for such a course.

4. I'm watching your promo video only because I want to help, but because of the grammar I probably wouldn't continue. The beginning is cool and then we see "you can earn 1k$ In Month". This is grammatically incorrect. It seems like you are doing everything possible to get people not to sign up for your course. I'm one minute into the video and the site looks nice, but you say "okay" too much.

5. Your English is fairly clear. However it seems like English is not your mother tongue. Perhaps you could also consider creating a course in your mother tongue. Arabic if I'm not mistaken. I would imagine you'd have quite a large audience. Even consider translating one of your existing courses into Arabic. (Recently I saw a successful instructor on Udemy translate one of her courses into Korean since she is fluent in that language).

6. Your Wix course has quite a lot of students despite only 37 reviews. That in my opinion is because you've been giving out your course for free. Don't give anything away for free.

Bottom line. You need your course to be more professional, don't give anything for free and stop creating free courses. Try to teach a course that is a little more in-depth. Correct spelling mistakes. Also consider the possibility of teaching a course in your mother tongue. I think this has real potential.

By the way your course "What's Meta - How Metaverse Change the World - Short Course" is grammatically incorrect. I noticed that most of your videos are under 40 seconds. I guess that's okay. Seems a little short.

As for the description:

"

If you really think you want to know about the Metaverse and make money from it or whatever is going on in your mind then share it with me.

Not only Metaverse, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain but also according to its related and as many topics as you want for which let me know. I will do my best to make a course on it so you also get to learn something, Will keep thanks

"

Use ChatGPT or a friend to correct the grammar. It simply looks so unprofessional. I actually just read a review complaining that the lectures are all under one minute.

It seems like you have valuable knowledge but you have to make a greater effort to create a quality course. At the very least correct the grammar.

Please don't take offense. I am trying to honestly help.

Good luck!

Ron

Go to solution

thanks a lot, dear

I will try my best

Go to solution

Yes, and of course good luck! I hope you do well and please accept my comments as friendly suggestions.

Go to solution

Very good review and valuable information for us.

Go to solution

I like the way you've helped this Instructor with your candid observations and recommendations.  Keep it up.

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the explanation, I want to know one thing, I am very confused about this, 

from the udemy website, 

""  

1. Sales occurring through instructor promotions: instructors receive 97% of the revenue when the student purchases their content using an instructor’s coupon or referral link.

2. Sales that do not occur through an instructor promotion: instructors receive 37% of the revenue for any Udemy sales where no instructor coupon or course referral link was used. These sales might occur after a user clicks on a Udemy advertisement, or browses the Udemy marketplace for courses.  

""

So according to this , if anyone's course is sold by for example 200 students, and the course's price is $10, and there is no coupon or referral link, then will the instructor get (3.7 * 200) = $740 after two months (since there is 30 days money back) ?  Is this the right calculation ?

or what am i missing here  ?

could you please explain me this ? i would be grateful to you if you just let me know, thanks.

Go to solution

Honestly I'm not sure. I\ve noticed in the long run one receives roughly 4-5 dollars per sale where it's closer to 4. Buy I have received less than a dollar for a sale. I have no idea why. So I don't have an answer.

I would think that if someone has 1000 students that paid for a course then the instructor probably made roughly $4000 give or take.

Go to solution

Note that when you sell a course for free it's rather difficult to turn a profit. The number of students you have means absolutely nothing since most of them didn't paid for the course. My course with the largest number of students has made next to nothing because I made the mistake of giving out for free. On the other hand I have other courses that not one person received for free. They all do reasonably well.

Go to solution

Hey,

I just want to inspire you and just highlight one more time that you are on the right way. Only hard work can lead you to new achievements. But one idea for you is to make sure that your free courses are ended with some invite to paid course. Make sure that after student completed your free course and in case they like it, they have opportunity to buy something more on this topic which will give them better learning experience and more knowledge. I hope this should help to increase finance indicators 🙂 

Kind regards,

Andrey

Go to solution

Hey, I checked your instructor profile. The topics of your course looks good, but some suggestions: 

1. Try to avoid short courses. It's better take 2 months making 1 course of 10 hours, to 5 courses of 2 hours or less. 

2. You could unpublish free courses with bad rating, It will increase your instructor rating (I think it's better for SEO in Udemy).

I hope it helps you.

Go to solution

The same as mine. Keep fighting!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.