Course pricing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course pricing

Go to solution

Dear Community, 

In your opinion, what is the best instructor revenue sharing option for a beginner instructor?

What is your advice?

Thank you! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Enroll in all the Udemy promotions is my advice. Your course will be marketed to the fullest extent by Udemy. Also, there's a great topic about promoting your course right here with Lawrence's post: https://community.udemy.com/t5/Marketing/How-can-I-market-my-course/m-p/435

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

View solution in original post

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you are opt'ed in to promotions (which is default and what I suggest), the normal price per course will be $10-12 or so, where you make $4-5 per sale. 

I price my video courses are $199, and practice tests at $99, but they really never sell at those prices, that is not the model of Udemy.

The sales you will get are from one of the countless sales Udemy has, think my last average was $4.85 or something in that area per sale, Udemy is a bulk game, they have a lot of students, and if you are wanting $200 per sale, it is most often not the platform for it (although a very small group of instructors make it work here). 

If you price low, lets say $20, then to the student it will see it as less valuable  than if it was priced at $199, they are still paying $10, but it is either 50% off or 95% off. 
Free courses face the same, they get rated lower because they are seen as less valuable vs. something they paid for, odd but true. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

View solution in original post

9 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Enroll in all the Udemy promotions is my advice. Your course will be marketed to the fullest extent by Udemy. Also, there's a great topic about promoting your course right here with Lawrence's post: https://community.udemy.com/t5/Marketing/How-can-I-market-my-course/m-p/435

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

Decide whether you want to 100% build up your own follower base or would want to trade some monies for Udemy to get more eyeballs on your course.

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you are opt'ed in to promotions (which is default and what I suggest), the normal price per course will be $10-12 or so, where you make $4-5 per sale. 

I price my video courses are $199, and practice tests at $99, but they really never sell at those prices, that is not the model of Udemy.

The sales you will get are from one of the countless sales Udemy has, think my last average was $4.85 or something in that area per sale, Udemy is a bulk game, they have a lot of students, and if you are wanting $200 per sale, it is most often not the platform for it (although a very small group of instructors make it work here). 

If you price low, lets say $20, then to the student it will see it as less valuable  than if it was priced at $199, they are still paying $10, but it is either 50% off or 95% off. 
Free courses face the same, they get rated lower because they are seen as less valuable vs. something they paid for, odd but true. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

Wow, thank you for your input Thor. It really makes me think if I really want to put all that effort in developing a course.

Go to solution

Hi Shehla, your current price is your original price? I checked your current price, and its set quite low, comparing with the sale price Udemy usually provides.

Go to solution

Thor, yes, I really agree with your points about the course pricing at Udemy. As a new comer,  the acutal sales performance may be much worse than the expectation. What's your strategy? 🙂

Go to solution

hello Thor,

I need your advice on pricing.

Is it possible to have a separate pricing 1. The course as a whole. [I have about 9 Modules] and 2. Pricing separately for the Course Certification, after completion of all 9 Modules?

Thank you,

Jayaraman Rajah Iyer

Go to solution

Hi Thor,

Just my concern about pricing. It's quite frustrating to see one's course get priced so low by Udemy. I am enrolled in Udemy promos and all, as at today, I have almost 200 student enrollments in a particular course but the revenue is still almost $50! How can this be? Are there students offered free? Because I still can't do the math of how my courses are priced so low, inspire of increasing enrolments . 

Kindly advise. 

Charles

Go to solution

Udemy has spent a lot of time and money in building up a large community.
Therefore you would need a really compelling reason not to sign up for Udemy promotions and sell to that community.

If you are just starting out then let Udemy work with you to promote your course.

Better a smaller share in a big marketplace than trying to keep all the fees and do it yourself.

Notwithstanding, it is good to do your own promotions as well as being in Promotions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors