The issue remains. We will not accept the course if it has no voice-over in

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The issue remains. We will not accept the course if it has no voice-over in

Dear Udemy Instructor Community,

I would like to gain a clearer understanding of Udemy's policy regarding voiceovers and spoken narration in video courses. Specifically, I have the following questions:

1. Proportion of Voiceover: For videos approximately 3 minutes in length, are there specific requirements regarding the proportion or quantity of human voice in terms of voiceover? For instance, if a video contains just a single spoken sentence, such as a title like 'Level 0: Introducing Three Key Steps in Latte Art,' would this be sufficient to meet the voiceover criteria and pass the review process?

2. Minimum Voiceover Frequency or Duration: For videos where I use clear subtitles and special effects to thoroughly explain the teaching content, are there specific requirements regarding the minimum frequency or duration of human voiceover that must be present? Is there guidance regarding the minimum spoken content required in videos that also include rich visual aids?

10 Replies

This doesn’t sound like anything that anyone wants to see on this platform. 

Human voiceover is not a problem.

That’s not what OP is asking though. OP is asking if, for example, lectures can be a few minutes long, with just one intro sentence spoken during the entire lecture. 

That sounds horrific to me. 

Sorry, If I were a student, I want to hear my instructor say something. You should mix a little explanation with sound effects. I saw your videos in YT, it's interesting and it's working well in TY short, but in Udemy, students prefer to hear you are speaking. Take a look at some cooking videos on YT, they make a great introduction, showing ingredients/recipes and the steps of cooking.This should work well for your course also. Good luck!

Até compreendo as políticas, mas meu curso é 100% humano, mas acabei de ter meu curso banido, apenas o primeiro vídeo foi uma locução de um texto de vendas, mesmo assim eu mesmo narrei o texto. 

Que critérios a Udemy usa para fazer essa verificação, solicitei 03 vezes para revisar o vídeo, expliquei que era minha voz e o revisor persistiu dizendo que era robô, ou será que minha voz é robótica, ou então a revisão não feita por humanos. 

E pior não me dão suporte para resolver, é tão simples, é só abrir o vídeo e comparar com uma aula minha vão ver que é minha voz. 

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi lopes.emersonhm@gmail.com Thanks fro bringing this up! If you believe that text-to-speech was incorrectly attributed to your course, please send an email to policy@udemy.com and clarify. Courses may be locked if they are resubmitted repeatedly without any engagement from the instructor about potential policy issues.

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

This does not sound like a good idea. Creating a Udemy course with minimal voiceover, especially one that only includes a single spoken sentence or relies heavily on subtitles and special effects, is a bad idea for several reasons:

1. Engagement and Effectiveness: Voiceover plays a crucial role in keeping students engaged and making the learning experience more effective. Courses with minimal or no voiceover might not hold the student's attention as effectively as those with comprehensive narration. Voice narration adds a personal touch and can make complex concepts easier to understand.

2. Accessibility and Inclusivity: Relying heavily on visual content and subtitles can make the course less accessible to individuals with visual impairments or those who are not proficient in reading the course's language. Voiceovers help ensure that the content is accessible to a broader audience, including those who prefer auditory learning or have specific learning needs.

3. Perceived Quality and Value: Courses with limited voiceover might be perceived as low effort or low quality by students. This perception can affect the course's ratings, student engagement, and ultimately, the instructor's reputation on the platform. Students expect a comprehensive learning experience that includes clear, articulate narration that complements the visual content.

4. Compliance with Udemy's Standards: Udemy has specific quality standards and requirements for courses, including those related to audio and video content. While specific proportions or frequencies of voiceover might not be explicitly stated, the overall goal is to ensure that courses provide a valuable and comprehensive learning experience. A course that barely uses voiceover might struggle to meet these standards and could potentially face issues during the review process.

In summary, while it's essential to use visual aids effectively, voiceover is a critical component of successful online courses. It enhances learning, ensures accessibility, and contributes to the overall quality and effectiveness of the course. Instructors should aim to create balanced and engaging content that leverages both visual and auditory elements to provide the best possible learning experience for their students.

If you like this answer, then please give it a thumbs up, it helps the algorithms, and gets these questions and answers to the people that need them. Thanks.

Kind regards, Robin.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Well said. In addition, I have been told be several students that they listen to my lectures while driving in their car. There is a reason they are called "lectures."

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Absolutely, I did the same when I was working nights, and didnt have a screen in front of me. Audio, especially spoken words are essential. In my opinion.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors